PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Internet connection has been "iffy" at best, but I'm still with you.

Here is where I spent the 4th. I had the bay mostly to myself.

It was wonderfully quiet.

DSCN0504.jpg
[/img]

hunter600.jpg
[/img]

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Thanks. It sometimes takes several tries just to send an email. Pictures can be frustrating, but I'll post more when I can.
There is nothing better than sitting on deck, smoking a bowl and watching the sunset.
Happy smokes everyone. :puffy:

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Philip, Do you have a HF transceiver aboard? A ham license maybe? All that salt water to act as a ground for a vertical antenna strung up the mast would be ideal. I could while away the hours on a rainy day with a radio and Morse Code key or a laptop connected to the radio to run amateur digital coms. Sunspots are high now in the solar cycle so low power (think batteries and solar) is more than enough. :puffy:

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Phillip I had a young man on my crew who had a sailboat and sailed Lake Ponchatrain, he asked me while on shift if he could use the lathe to make some special tools for his boat, the other foremans wouldn't"t , I asked him if he could work the machine, he said yes, I told him your Exxon work is first then your boat work, the next 10 yrs he made a lot of stuff for his boat, being a navy man, but not a sailing man I sympathized win him, he quit with 10yrs service, sailed to the carriben and gives tourists sailing lessons he was a good worker, why not let him do, I envy your freedom the old cajun

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Beautiful spot. Pardon me if this has already been addressed, but how did you come to find yourself so free and clear to be able to sail around the world?

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
...how did you come to find yourself so free and clear to be able to sail around...

I guess it's a matter of life choices and a little give and take. I don't have a wife (I rarely spend any money on shoes); I don't have any children to take care of; I don't own a house (this is my only home); my car is 28 years old and I am willing to do without many of the comforts and conveniences many consider essential. So I can choose the life I want to live, but I have to pass on many of the joys that I hope you do not take for granted.
If I want to see a child graduate or see the joy of children opening Christmas presents, I have to rely on your pictures or other friends. Some of you may dream of life on a boat. I sometimes dream of a house and family or possibly a garden. While dreams can be good, it's best to live the life God gave you with contentment and no regrets. I wouldn't change mine.
Do you have a HF transceiver aboard? A ham license maybe?

I only have a hand-held transceiver besides my marine VHF. I just have a technician licence now. (Philip KF7STS) I would like to upgrade in the next year or two. Many sailors run the antenna up an insulated backstay.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Phillip, my garden is finished , the heat, okra will give until the frost, I can next year send you pictures of it next yr, believe me, it's better with pictures than working it HaHa, the old cajun

Status
Not open for further replies.