PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Morning folks.
It has been a long time since I've exercised any PAD. Ryan made this pipe to take to the Chicago show and I was enamoured with it. He quietly put it aside and when I was able to buy it, it showed up in my mailbox.
This is my first olive wood pipe, and my third Alden. I really appreciate Ryan's attention to detail which shows in the button, the tenon, and in the drilling and airway, as well as other places I'm too blind to see.
Thanks Ryan, I'm enjoying the break in greatly.
Here it is:

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
That's a beauty! Ryan is an outstanding guy and a great artisan.

Congrats on a gorgeous pipe. :clap:

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo pat - WTG. You will like the way that olivewood will color up and make the grain pop. I am loving my Alden dawg and morta author. It's amazing the delicacy Ryan produces, being such a big guy physically.
hp

les

Dec 24, 2012
Pat, that is one gorgeous pipe, with some marvelous grain that almost makes it look like a jigsaw puzzle. Even the bag looks fantastic.
I am really curious how the patina on this one will develop.
You really don't deserve that.
By the way, what is the weight (of the pipe, not Ryan)?

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
You really don't deserve that.
This is true.
By the way, what is the weight (of the pipe, not Ryan)?
Weight - 62g

Chamber Diameter - A hair under .75"

Chamber Depth - 1.25"
The pipe has nice thick walls, and I'm happy with the chamber size. Given the relative hardness of olive versus briar I think making the chamber a little smaller and the walls fairly stout was a wise choice.
-- Pat

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Wow! Very cool pipe Pat! Love the grain of that wood.

I am a little in the dark about olive wood thought. Is it softer than briar, and what are the pros and cons if any, of using it for pipes?

Thanks for sharing the photos, hope you enjoy that beauty.

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
The grain on that pipe is awesome. Great buy. I have always liked the look of olive wood pipes but like Orley am unaware of the pros and cons.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
As I understand it, olive is softer than briar, and the softness varies depending on the type of olive being used.
Olive is also purported to empart a slightly nutty, olive-oil like, flavour to the early bowls until a cake is developed.
Given that olive is softer cadence is important because olive will burn more readily than briar.
I'm looking forward to breaking this one in.
-- Pat

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I love how he personalizes that Author shape. Its something about that rounder bowl and stem transition that really works and immediately defines it as an Alden shape. That really looks great in the Olive wood. Enjoy

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Great pipe! I have always been a fan of the grain on olive wood pipes. I still need to add one to the collection at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.