PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

midwestpipesmoker70

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2011
IL
Went through my cellar the other day as I do every so often to make sure all of my tins are in good shape and aging along nicely. Every tin was fine except one of two of my tins of Penzance from 2011. One showed rust bubbles on the bottom of the tin and when I gently squeezed it I could tell there was no vacuum left. I opened the lid, removed the bone dry flakes with a bit of plume (or bloom) to attempt to rehydrate and this is what the bottom of the inside of the tin looked like. Very strange that this is the only tin that showed any sign of rust. Again, my other tin from 2011 looks absolutely perfect. My cellar is in a very stable environment in my house where temp and humidity is controlled. Thank God this is the only one with issues. The lid was fine. Interresting.Penzance Tin.jpg

Terry Lennox

Can't Leave
Aug 11, 2021
Southern California
Same happened to me from Penzance tins of similar age. Luckily I caught it in time they were still moist so I jarred it all up. I only have one more of those rectangular tins from a later batch (2014) and I check the seal every year or so.

Reactions: midwestpipesmoker70