Rusticated or Smooth. What Do You Prefer?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

108 Fresh Brulor Pipes
36 Fresh Ropp Pipes
1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe
12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes
120 Fresh Peterson Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

DonutLuvr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2019
Butler County, Ohio
There are some great looking pipes out there that have a smooth finish. I mostly smoke away from home, so at work or on the road. Due to carrying pipes around away from the house, I prefer rusticated or sandblasted. It feels much easier to grip, and can easily hide any small dings that are bound to happen.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I have to say I really like smooth just a tiny bit more then the others. I just like seeing the grain more easily. I also find smooth feels better in hand. And I don't mind a few dings here or there on a smooth pipe either. Though when I started I loved rustication so much more. Rustication and Sandblasts just don't grab my attention as much, though when they do it kind of sticks with me.

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
My preference is smooth with the patina that only years of use can give. There's just something about the look. Second is a good sandblast, like on old Dunhills, the only reason I'd spring for a Dunhill. Rustication that appeals is rare and, without looking, I don't think I own any . One of the things I dislike about having too many pipes is that the smooth ones never get a chance to patina-up, if that's a word. I'm not talking about abuse, but gentle wear over the years--kind of like a pistol that's been carried for decades.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Mar 1, 2014
Sandblast.
A good blast is a better exhibition of the wood than a polished finish.
After that my priority is a high polish Natural finish, then Rustication, then painted smooth (no visible grain).

B18

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2015
I only a two rusticated pipes, as I am really picky about rusticated pipes.
The only two are a Eltang poker and Former apple. I currently haven't found any other artisan whose rustication appeals to me.

Fiddlepiper

Apr 22, 2020
Scotland
www.danielthorpemusic.com
I definitely think that smooth catches my eye more and the wood grain definitely has a more pleasing aesthetic.

however, as I don’t own a rusticated or sandblast yet I can’t comment on feel etc.
I have found/seen one that wows me and makes me want to immediately make it mine so far.

Aug 1, 2012
All other things being equal, I much prefer smooth pipes. Usually all things are not equal so I have a mix of smooth, rusticated, sandblast and hybrid finishes. I have pipes I hate the look of but they smoke so well I can't bring myself to let them go. Alternately, I had pipes which looked beautiful but were kicked out of my collection ASAP because they smoked badly for me. It all comes down to a saying that Brad (@tbradsim1) wrote out a few times. "Good looks goes but a good cook stays."

Reactions: jpmcwjr and JOHN72

seagullplayer

Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
If I liked the stem, the shape and the size I'm not sure texture would matter.

I have pipes of both texture, but I didn't buy any of them because of it.