Russian/Soviet Pipe For Sale Here... Could Anyone Identify it or its Wood Type?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

2 Fresh Chris Asteriou Pipes
4 Fresh Scott Thile Pipes
24 Fresh Rossi Pipes
36 Fresh Nørding Pipes
108 Fresh Brulor Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
The owner says he doesn't know anything about pipes. It's cheap ($30).
If you guys cannot identify it, could you at least guess if it's made of briar or something else?
Here's a pic of it (no political debates please, it's just a Soviet pipe):
cachimbo-de-madeira-russo-baixei-o-preco-D_NQ_NP_612285-MLB28733300918_112018-F.webp

Thanks

Machado, pass on that. It looks like a PSO (pipe shaped object), not a real smoking tool, if you know what I mean.
Contact pipesandcigars, and get one of those $49 Stanwells, or maybe they are still $19? At least with those you can be fairly certain that they will serve you well as an actual smoking implement.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
@Cosmic I was actually thinking of buying this. A Soviet pipe would be something rare so it got me interested, but after reading that...
I will pass.
Will keep looking for something good.
Does Pipesandcigars deliver worldwide?

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Not sure about P&C but Smokingpipes.com ships pipes to Brazil. They state on their website that will ship to anywhere on the planet. Not tobacco...just pipes and accessories. Check it out.

addamsruspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
I have seen that style of pipe before, and have one that was in a lot of pipes I got off Ebay. They are usually made out of Pear wood. I have always assumed that this particular style of pipe is intended for cosmetic appeal vs. actually smoking based off of the one that I have. Could be wrong though. :)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The owner says he doesn't know anything about pipes. It's cheap ($30).
If you guys cannot identify it, could you at least guess if it's made of briar or something else?
Here's a pic of it (no political debates please, it's just a Soviet pipe):
Cannot see a picture at all.
Machado, did you alter the URL? Or could you please repost the original?

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Soviet pipe ... I would think that a soviet pipe would be something that is made on a budget. This whole hammer and sickle business makes me say that this is more of a souvenir.

upnorth1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2017
La Belle Province, Canada
I wouldn't touch it.

Go to smolkingpipes.com and try using their online pipe locator. Set it for your needs, price rtange etc. in the column on the left,and you'll find more than a few pipes in your budget range. I believe they will ship pipes worldwide.
Pipe locator

vorgath

Lurker
Feb 4, 2019
Hammer & sickle ? :lol: no way anyone over there would have a pipe like that, definitely a souvenir made for tourists

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Here's the URL in the photo box from the o.p.
https://http2.mlstatic.com/cachimbo-de-madeira-russo-baixei-o-preco-D_NQ_NP_612285-MLB28733300918_112018-F.webp
Safari onna Mac can't resolve it, but Chrome did. Interesting tschostke (sp).

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I have a couple of old Russian (Soviet) pipes from my days, 1980's-90's, working in the country (Russian Far East (Magadan, Vladivostok, and many points in between), Neither are briar, both heavily stained, both smoke reasonably well. Neither are in the regular rotation. They were gifts, I never saw any for sale in the markets or, the regional "Gums". At $30 I'd have it simply for the novelty/nostalgia. If it smoked acceptably, so much the better.
I knew many "party" functionaries, still clinging to the "old" politics, a pipe like that would be attractive to them. Now days? A new regime, bringing back the old ways? There's still many who would proudly display/smoke such.
I'm still confused by the nostalgia for the "old days." Many of my co-worked and friends were "children of the Gulags", their parents/grandparents having been sent to the "Far East" or, employed in the Gulag infrastructure by Stalin. One would think they would be full of resentment. A surprising number yearn for the "all controlling" government of the Czar or the Party. It's a wonder.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
Can't see the photo either, on Windows and Firefox. Ah well...
Just a regular mat dark brown pipe with the communist symbol.
I'm not a communist by the way [not that it matters], but since I only smoke pipes in my bedroom... there would be no risk of someone mistaking me for a communist pipesmoker on the streets! :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.