PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I enjoy picking out flavors, but I also like to convey the way a blend makes me feel, whether it's of terroir, or just some weird sensory memory. Not all blends evoke feelings, but some do and I like to try to capture that in some way.
Today, I felt a few feelings while smoking Red Oak Twist, an American Snuff Co. pigtail rope tobacco. This stuff is generally chewed but is just as fit for the pipe as any English style rope tobacco. It is fairly coarse and as far as I know, simply smoke and color cured, sprayed with molasses or sugar water, twisted and hung up for a while.
20191116_172949.jpg
I cut a stack of thin curlies with a double guillotine cutter and let them sit out for a few hours. Then I rubbed out two for the bottom of the wide chamber and sloppily stacked the rest to the top.
Here are my thoughts while smoking:

Evidently natural and minimally processed, but surprisingly smooth. Starts nutty and creamy with hints of molasses, but quickly picks up in tang and smokiness. Slight cigar like notes but sweeter. Griddlecakes and cowboy coffee with raw cream, cooked on a woodstove. Old leather, campfire, and slightly burnt toffee on the relight. Leaves a pleasant caramel and campfire aftertaste.
The wisps of old leather might remind you of the belt your dad used to whoop your ass, and so might the nicotine.
Happy puffing, all!

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Appropriate tobacco cut (or lack thereof) for stream of consciousness. I think if there was one cut I’d take “On the Road” (Hey-o!) it would be twists. Simple, strong, can be chewed or smoked, unspillable, take up no space, and just feel old school and nostalgic.

I take them with me whenever I fly, as I can chew them without taking a hand off the yolk/throttle and they can be chewed in the field and smoked in camp, and can’t be spilled on the tundra.

Sure would love to have a bowl at Jack’s old lookout station, staring out into the void towards Hozomeen. ?

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I only smoked GH Black and Brown but in 2017 wanted to try the 1/2 perique and 1/2 Dark Fired rope from Heinrich. Just looked for it now and it doesn't seem they still make it. Was also trying to track a number of ropes down made somewhere in South America. Bolivia? Then there must be a dozen ropes made in the US. Makes me want to start smoking again:).

rushx9, great review, evocative and succinct.

Reactions: BROBS and rushx9
Status
Not open for further replies.