Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
My favorite Rum topped blends:
Salty Dogs
Gl Pease Windjammer
Gl Pease Sextant
Black Frigate
G and H Rum Flake

@alaskanpiper mentioned Festivus Pudding. I love the stuff, but it's a Christmas release from Ken Byron Ventures and it'll be impossible to find most of the year. All the blends I listed above are regularly available (with the exception of Rum Flake, which is supposed to become more regularly available in the near future).

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
My favorite Rum topped blends:
Salty Dogs
Gl Pease Windjammer
Gl Pease Sextant
Black Frigate
G and H Rum Flake

@alaskanpiper mentioned Festivus Pudding. I love the stuff, but it's a Christmas release from Ken Byron Ventures and it'll be impossible to find most of the year. All the blends I listed above are regularly available (with the exception of Rum Flake, which is supposed to become more regularly available in the near future).
A fair point, I just like it a lot, hahaha.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
AKA : Haddo's Flake?
Lol! Fwiw, I found it to be different from Haddo’s. The clearest evidence I have for this is that I just tried both for the first time in the past couple of months. The Windjammer has become a rotation regular whereas I haven’t even had a second bowl of the Haddo’s ( I’ll get around to trying it again soon, but I did not like the first bowl I tried at all).

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I'll list easy to find blends where you easily notice the rum. I don't think "faint" will cut it for the OP.
Wilke Rumcake
Wilke #515 (Basil Rathbone's tobacco of choice)
Savinelli Jupiter
Sutliff Buttered Rum
Sutliff Queen Anne's Revenge ( the bulk version of the discontinued Barbados Plantation)
Smoker's Pride Rum, a very reasonable priced blend worth smoking for the rum topping
GLP Windjammer
G&H Rum Flake (not as easy to find as others on this list)
Watch City Cap'n Boomer's
Watch City Stubb's Pipe (also has a little cocoa in the topping)
C&D Redburn
C&D Repose

Last edited:

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I love rum topped mixtures and Navy flakes, but the only blends I've smoked that really taste like rum are Sutliff Queen Anne's Revenge / Barbados Plantation, and MacBaren Plumcake.
Fair warning, both come pretty wet with the former being in full-on gooper territory.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Rum Twist by Gawith Hoggarth's would be my recommendation. If you want to go further treat your bowls with a strong rum. I started doing this with old estate pipes I'd bought off eBay. After a thorough cleaning of the shank & bowl with rum soaked pipe cleaners etc I'd soak cotton wool bowls in rum, stuff them into the chamber & leave them for 3-4 days. This gives your pipes a wonderful 'rum ghost' that'll last a good while. Woods's Old Navy Rum works best for me, the higher ABV seems to get into the wood better. A tot of rum while you're smoking is always a pleasure of course, so don't forget that. Rum twist in a rum infused bowl, whilst drinking rum. Yes, that should do it!?

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I'll list easy to find blends where you easily notice the rum. I don't think "faint" will cut it for the OP.
Wilke Rumcake
Wilke #515 (Basil Rathbone's tobacco of choice)
Savinelli Jupiter
Sutliff Buttered Rum
Sutliff Queen Anne's Revenge ( the bulk version of the discontinued Barbados Plantation)
Smoker's Pride Rum, a very reasonable priced blend worth smoking for the rum topping
GLP Windjammer
G&H Rum Flake (not as easy to find as others on this list)
Watch City Cap'n Boomer's
Watch City Stubb's Pipe (also has a little cocoa in the topping)
C&D Redburn
C&D Repose
he is in the UK Jim so GH Rum Flake may actually be the easiest to find

Status
Not open for further replies.