PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

DrTeeth

Might Stick Around
Sep 2, 2022
Indiana
shiftdrinkpodcast.com
I am a hardcore rum nerd. I’ve got over 300 bottles of esoteric, unicorn bottles at my home, in addition to tons of rare bottlings at my tiki bar.

But, I have only recently stumbled into the rum barrel finished Mississippi River by SPC. And I’m in love.

So, my question is… any other recommendations out there for me? I have tried a few rum-topped aromatics, but they never really translate well. They tend to taste more like Malibu or Captain Morgan.

🤘🏻

dobbs

Lurker
Aug 3, 2022
SF Bay Area, California
I've been experimenting with infusing my own and have had some success. I've been infusing VaPers and they take well, but the infusion definitely lessens after some weeks in the jar. I'm trying longer infusion times to see if I can't get it "fixed"

For what it's worth, you're not going to get the same kind of nuance from sipping a fine rum into the tobacco, so don't start with the rare or expensive stuff. I've had pretty good results with the cheapest Appleton Estate.

Good luck,

-dobbs

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
I've been experimenting with infusing my own and have had some success. I've been infusing VaPers and they take well, but the infusion definitely lessens after some weeks in the jar. I'm trying longer infusion times to see if I can't get it "fixed"

For what it's worth, you're not going to get the same kind of nuance from sipping a fine rum into the tobacco, so don't start with the rare or expensive stuff. I've had pretty good results with the cheapest Appleton Estate.

Good luck,

-dobbs
The cheapest Appleton estate is still very tasty to this rum pirate. Barbados 5 and Pusser’s are also good ones for experimenting with if your spraying your own leaf.
I am a hardcore rum nerd. I’ve got over 300 bottles of esoteric, unicorn bottles at my home, in addition to tons of rare bottlings at my tiki bar.

But, I have only recently stumbled into the rum barrel finished Mississippi River by SPC. And I’m in love.

So, my question is… any other recommendations out there for me? I have tried a few rum-topped aromatics, but they never really translate well. They tend to taste more like Malibu or Captain Morgan.

🤘🏻
Lane Buttered Rum
sutliff Barbados Plantation
Mac Baren Plum Cake
Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake
E Hoffman Distinguished Gentlemen

Incidentally I opened some Wilke blends last night, two were rum ones. 515 with Jamaican rum & their Rum Cake. I’m wondering if these will translate to a pleasant smoking experience. The 515 smells like ethanol and the RC smells like a cheap burning rum.

PS let me know if you want me to drop by for a rum tasting😉👌

DrTeeth

Might Stick Around
Sep 2, 2022
Indiana
shiftdrinkpodcast.com
Loving these recs! I haven’t tried most of these because of a few not being my cup of tea (Lane, Boswell)

I almost picked up that Sutliff then forgot about it until it was just mentioned.

And regarding Appleton Estate. It gets an image of being a “cheap” rum because of the price point of the Signature. Master Blender Joy Spence is a treasure to the rum world, and every bottle is well made. From their entry level to their Appleton 50 (which I’ve been lucky to try). I prefer funkier, high eater Jamaican rums, but not a thing wrong with Appleton for sure!

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Loving these recs! I haven’t tried most of these because of a few not being my cup of tea (Lane, Boswell)

I almost picked up that Sutliff then forgot about it until it was just mentioned.
If you are saying blends from Lane and Boswell are all you've tried, then I'll toss in a nod to Wilke Rumcake. You can get a sample of that and a couple other of his rum influenced blends and see what you think - he will even adjust the rum topping once you have an idea what your preference is.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
If you are saying blends from Lane and Boswell are all you've tried, then I'll toss in a nod to Wilke Rumcake. You can get a sample of that and a couple other of his rum influenced blends and see what you think - he will even adjust the rum topping once you have an idea what your preference is.
That’s interesting about Wilke willing to tweak the rum qtys.

DrTeeth

Might Stick Around
Sep 2, 2022
Indiana
shiftdrinkpodcast.com
IIRC, I made an attempt to order a few from them, but there was a merchant processing issue. Good to hear!

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Depending on your affinity for Latakia, Blockade Runner might be worth trying. I like it, but pass over the frigate because of the Latakia. DTM Salty Dogs is one of my rum blends too. But I’m not much for aros, so these are milder than a lot of aros on the added flavor. Haddo’s Delight is another rum regular- but again, not a heavily scented aromatic