PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

echopipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2011
I know that some of you guys use some electricial tubing of some sort instead of those gaint rubber tips. (Which almost gag me).So not to leave bite marks on your stem. My question is...what is the stuff you use. And do you melt it on? And does it come in black? And where do you get it? I know I'm being a bit vague but some of you know what I'm talking about because I've read it here some months ago.

Thanks : ) I just redid a pipe which I now love. The stem is great for me. But I fear I might bite it up because its a perfect size for a clencher.

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
Srink tubing can be found at most hardware stores or home improvement stores and black seems to be the most common color at least around here.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Shrink tubing is a pain in the rear when your stem eventually needs cleaning. I have an estate with this tubing melted to the stem. No idea what to do with it. I may have to replace the stem in the end.

briarpipeboiler

Might Stick Around
Feb 21, 2012
Louisville
I bought some of these from my local B&M. 4 for $2.
I'd rather not use them, but they work great, and protect my stems as I bite and chomp on them frequently...
f92b9240c06b1f0a57bcd8daa5e0.jpg

I thought they would bother me but they don't, at all.

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
Yes. It is electrical insulation that comes in black cylindrical form. It comes in different diameters. You cut off the size you want place it on the bare wire, or pipe stem and shrink it to fit with either a heat gun or a hair drier or a soft flame (careful not to burn it).

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I use a medical grade heat shrink tubing I bought from Grainger. There is also regular food grade which is cheaper, but that is as low as I would go, quality-wise. The regular industrial stuff could melt to the stem. I have never had this problem using the medical-grade tubing.
THIS will do for a whole bunch of pipes!

echopipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2011
Hmm, what size do you think I might need. I know its a guess because all pipes are different. But just so I have a rough idea. I do have some softie bits which maybe I should try to find. I. Bought them on ebay from china and they just seems soooo big. Like a gaint piece of rubber that really kinda gags me. Maybe another brand is a little smaller. But aside from Mick has anyone else had problems with the shrink tubing??

Thanks

loneredtree

May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
I hope I am not too negative, I would not put anything from china in my mouth! I would get them from a local B&M of one of our online retailers.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
The 1/2"-1/4" size that I linked to has fit all of my pipes, so far. It is also listed as "Country of origin USA" so you can be patrioic while you save your stems.

mikemacrdlnds

Dec 21, 2011
I tired the heat shrink and medical tubing, and ending up going back to the Softy Pipe Bit. They work for me.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I hate the soft bits, they always make me gag too. I guess I'll never really be a clencher.

alonso2

Lurker
Feb 20, 2012
The tubing I use is used for syphoning home made beer etc. Cut a short length of the tube and pop it into water that has just boiled. Haul it out with a fork etc, and it will push on to the biggest of stems.It works much better than the rubber things sold in the tobacconists.

danno

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2011
Some heat shrink tubing does have an adhesive. I would be careful. Also, as previously mentioned, make sure it is food grade or equivalent.

spyder71

Jul 14, 2011
I have tried to use both. The large rubber tips also make me want to gag. The heat shrink tubing I used until I saw what it did to the end of my pipes. Several of the pipes I had the shrink tubing on turned color very quickly. I think I create to much moisture with a pipe in my mouth and it was getting trapped under the tubing. As a result of all this I had to teach myself not to chomp down on the bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.