Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
Reactions: mingc

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I use silicone ones from eBay. They are soft and pliable and can be moved from one pipe to another easily, so you only need one.

The rubber ones are harder and don't feel as nice clenching. They are also hard to put on and take off so folks tend to leave them on the pipes. When you do that the part of the bit covered by the rubber oxidizes at a different rate from the rest of the bit, so you can see where the rubber sat after you take it off.
^^^^^
Ditto

Reactions: mingc

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
Sometimes I use them, mostly I don’t. While driving, or while demoing a new pipe sometimes I’ll slap one on. But if it’s a nice pipe like my Rubio, where the stem is an absolute masterpiece work of art, it’s a crime not to experience the fruits of his labor ?

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I have used this successfully for over 2 years. I find the softie bits too thick and spongy and the texture was off putting. You have to stretch this a bit when you apply it, I make 5 to 6 rounds on the stem. Deepening upon how hard you clench, you may have to replace it every year or two. I have some that lasted 2 1/2 years.

Amazon Friction Tape
I also use this on occasion, usually while driving,great stuff ,but after the use, I would not leave them on place, since it can cause discoloration to the stem

Reactions: jpmcwjr

cohibajoe

Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
General consensus is no. Chemicals and components of the shrink tube are no bueno. Some people use friction tape or something? I’m sure they’ll chime in.
Was a teenager in the mid 70's and during the Gas Crises...at times I siphon "Leaded Gas" to start the suction from tank to gas can...I have no issues using Rubber stem protectors on my pipes.

• Haha
Reactions: seanv and OzPiper

Mr_houston

Dec 30, 2020
Texas
I use softy bits on all my pipes, except a couple with too thin stems. They are very comfortable and free up my hands when I need them. However, I don’t clench, even with softy bits.

Reactions: OzPiper

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Does anyone here use rubbber stem protectors. i wear dentures, and can't clench on a bare pipe stem. i was wondereing if the rubber protectors would help and keep my hands free to do other things while smoking a pipe.
Yes, I can't clench a pipe either and the rubber bit protectors allow me to do so. However, if I am sitting and reading or something and can hold the pipe, then I prefer take the rubber bit protector off.

I have a piece of silicone tube on my clay pipe. That works super fantastic. If I took time to grab some larger diameter silicone tubing then I would likely try that on the larger stems instead of the rubber ones when I want to be hands free with the pipe.

Reactions: OzPiper

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I use them, I’ve grown accustomed to them. I would suggest taking them off after each smoke to clean them. All of my pipe stems would be chewed off by now if i didn’t use them.

How many times could I type “them” in one post, ?

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I’ve tried the rubber tips and didn’t like them… felt artificial or something. I just learned to rest the tip/stem on my lower teeth and wedge against the back of my upper teeth/roof of my mouth… without clinching. It works for me, but I can certainly see the usefulness w/dentures. The friction tape posted above by hoosierpipeguy is a good idea ?

TheDesertPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 5, 2021
Arizona
I guess I'm a little wired by nature, so I found myself flexing my jaw against the softie bits and making my teeth and jaw muscle sore. So no softie bits for me. Also, they are an extra cleaning project or they get a little funky under the softie bits. From photos on Forums, I see we have many devotees of the bits.
I do the exact same thing when I use them.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
I've always used the BJ Longs softie bits on all my pipes. I know each pipe will feel the same and be easy to hold onto.

I've also used the silicon ones, which are great also. The rubber ones seem to last longer and I've still got plenty about, but when I run out I'll probably go all silicon as they fit on different size stems better.

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
I use Softy bits all the time, a) because after 75 years, my teeth are a bit raggedy and I don't want to chatter-up my stems, and b) I find them quite comfortable and clenchable, whether on vulcanite or acrylic stems. I get no rubbery taste, wash them after each use, and clean the stems to eliminate oxidation under the bit. And, they're inexpensive.

GothPiper

Might Stick Around
Jun 28, 2021
Las Vegas, NV
I'm not a clencher specifically because I can't find comfort with or without the softy bits.

With a bare stem, it's too hard to be comfortable on my teeth for long. With the softy bits, I find they force my mouth open wider, and I can't form a good seal around the stem with my lips (or it's incredibly awkward to do so).

The only truly comfortably stem I've been able to clench is the cheap plastic stem found on some Missouri Meerschaum cobs. But of course, those aren't durable, and can cave inward rather quickly.