PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Ohio (Displaced Central Texan)
I've noticed that this blend is fairly divisive. People seem to either love it or hate it. One owner of a well-established tobacco shop I met called it "Royal Yuck." Yet it appears to have some fans here. What is this blend like? And why does it provoke such contrasting reactions?

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Tonquin Bean. It's probably the ultimate love it or hate it in the pipe tobacco world. Look at 1792 Flake for the same arguments.

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
Roth did a review of the current Royal Yacht here and I think it hits the nail on the head.

~Ron

dlattim

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
Royal Yacht is my go to everyday smoke. I like the way it packs and lights. The flavor is lightly sweet and pure virginia. The tonquin bean must agree with me because I like it. Sometimes after dinner when I want something a little sweeter I top off a bowl with just a pinch of Peterson's Nutty Cut. That does the trick. With the kick of nicotine I like and the sweetness of the Nutty Cut I'm right where I want to be. For me it doesn't get any better.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Our esteemed colleague Pipestud has the worlds foremost collection of Royal Yuck with around 500 tins I believe. He bathes in it, brushes his teeth with it, and would go into serious withdrawals if he did not smoke a couple of bowls a day of the vile weed. It is a love or hate blend like 1792.

peter70

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2013
RY is a really unique mixture, just like the label says. Because of the full flavor and the rather high nicotine content, it is suitable to learn and practice sipping or breath smoking. You never have the impression, that you need to draw more on the pipe, than just the slightest puffs to get a mouthful of tasty and strong smoke.

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
I was expeciting a kickass smoke with the 1792 Flake as others have advised of how strong it was, but found it to be a pussycat, for me anyways. I have not smoked any all summer, so perhaps I will give it another try this weekend.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I tried 1792 years ago and also did not find it to be too strong, the Tonquin flavor however was something that made me want to gag, I found it to be comparable to eating the ass out of a dead rhino.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Harris - I just have to ask when you last ate the ass out of a dead rhino? Was it a white or sumatran rhino? Alot of 1792's strength vanishes if its aged or dried. If it's young and wet, it's pretty strong....alot like rhino ass strong.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Royal Yacht has no Tonquin Bean flavoring. The original Dunhill and Murray's versions both did have a mysterious topping that I would call a Nectar from the Gods. I do dispute what Harris said about me bathing in it though.
Best,

Pipestud
PS.. If you want to try Gawith's 1792 Flake without the Tonquin flavoring, all you need to do is get a tin of Gawith's Bracken Flake. It is basically 1792 Flake without the Tonquin.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Roth
Toppings are actually what is more associated with the stereotypical sweet flavor or aroma of an "aromatic" pipe tobacco blend. For example, a Cherry Tobacco will have a cherry topping. The topping is applied last, at the very end of the processing just before the tobacco goes into the tin or pouch.
This taken from Kevin's tobacco encyclopedia site
Royal yacht has 'toppings'. That's why I'm asking if this is classified as an 'aromatic'?

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
Royal yacht has 'toppings'. That's why I'm asking if this is classified as an 'aromatic'?
I certainly wouldn't consider RY an aromatic. Surprisingly many blends have some flavorings added and yet they are not generally thought as aromatics. I can taste the brandy topping in GLP Haddo's Delight all the way trough the bowl but I still don't think it as an aromatic because its tobaccos; VAs, burleys, cav and perique are all clearly discernible in the blend. Also, its nature isn't aromatic to me. That last one is bit hard to explain, I agree.
I've seen many people say that they draw a strict line in that if there's any topping/flavoring at all in the blend, it's an aromatic. Well, that divide would make blends such as Capstan, Hamborger Veermaster, Dunhill Navy Luxe Rolls, The Banker's, Campanile etc. -- all aromatics. People seem to draw the aromatic/non-aromatic line at different points. For me, if the focus of a blend is in aromas of natural tobaccos and not in added flavorings or in augmented room note, the blend is a non-aromatic. I know many people will disagree.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
jgriff, lol
Roth, good one, never heard that one before.
Steve, my apologies, no bathing, but brushing teeth with it, got it.
Allan, every pipe smoker needs to try 1792 at least once, it is almost a right of passage. You never know, you might love it, there are tons of people who do and that blend has been around a couple of hundred years. Besides, if you have never tasted the ass of a dead rhino or sucking farts out of dead monkeys, now is your chance.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Roth
With these explanations, just what is an 'aromatic'? Is it simply the addition of poly glycol as a preservative along with toppings? How much topping defines an aromatic? Or is it toppings that added that have sugar, molasses etc?
Harris

With a description of 1792 as sucking farts out of a dead monkey, I just can't wait to order a few tins!

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I appreciate the flavor of 1792 Flake, it is fairly unique among today's blends. The tobacco underneath is top notch, which is the best reason to smoke anything from S&G or G&H.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
pipestud said

"Royal Yacht has no Tonquin Bean flavoring. The original Dunhill and Murray's versions both did have a mysterious topping that I would call a Nectar from the Gods."
Right on the mark Steve. I remember smoking this stuff in the late 1960's, (yes, I'm an old codger), and it is an acquired taste so to speak. But once you acquire the liking for Royal Yacht you will appreciate the quality of leaf and richness of the blend. And it ages so darn well. There's a reason that Pipestud's cellar is full of this treasured leaf. :D

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I just looked over Jarit's post about when an aro is an aro more carefully and I can see his point
So there' s no real delineation between aro and non-aro...

Status
Not open for further replies.