PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
Has anyone smoked Dunhill Royal Yacht?

I got a ampel sample of it and when I smelled it its not a aro its not a english or atleast what I am used to.

If you have what did you think of it how did it taste?

fshu2

Can't Leave
Jan 22, 2011
i had it a while back. i forget its components however it is a very enjoyable smoke full bodied and strong.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
It's an air cured Virginia and a great smoke! I smoke it on the lake or deer stand. For some reason it goes best for me in a cob.

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
TopD you had me at deer stand and cob. sounds like a relaxing outdoors blend I know what ill smoke today.

thbg

Might Stick Around
Aug 30, 2011
It's strong in the N department; and has the british fruit flavor to it. It's good.

protestantpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 20, 2013
After reading a range of reviews on this classic Dunhill Blend I gave it a shot, and missed completely. The tin aroma was pleasing, sweet, kind of fruity but in the bowl it fell flat...I didn't find anything complex or interesting about it. Perhaps my palate is no longer fit for the Virgina blends.

protestantpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 20, 2013
Roth,
That's kind of how I felt. I feel a little let down really. I had waited to try it for so long...at least I know it's not just me!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm holding a tin of Royal Yacht in abeyance for a special occasion. I expect to like it. Virginia and

a little nic kick. What's not to like. But time will tell. I'll report back if I have anything to add to

the discussion.

protestantpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 20, 2013
I shouldn't be overly hard on it. I suppose I've just discovered English / Latakia and the like, are my thing. I didn't used to be that way, I suppose over time my tastes have changed without me noticing.

magoo65

Lurker
Apr 10, 2013
Someone on TobaccoReviews.com stated that life is too short for Royal Yacht since there's so many better Virginias out there to smoke.
Being a big fan of all of Dunhill's lineup and since I love VAs, I bought 5 tins during P&C 2 for 1 sale last month. I felt let down by it. I had around 10 smokes and just didn't "get it". I didn't find it very flavorful and nothing about it really impressed me. I jarred what I had left of that tin and put everything away to try again in a couple months.
I came to the conclusion as the poster that I quoted above... There's too many great VAs out there to smoke so why deal with this?

dlattim

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
Royal Yacht is a daily smoke for me. I find that is must be sipped really slowly to be enjoyed fully. I like to clench my pipe and barley keep the ember going to enjoy it. I like the nic kick and the sweet taste of this Virginia tobacco.

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
Some days I get it and other days I don't. Problem is I don't know till I smoke it if I'm going to get it or not. :P

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
In my efforts to continue fighting for truth, justice and the Royal Yacht way:
An all-time classic from one of the world's outstanding pipe and tobacco firms. RY (Murray's version) is my favorite blend, and the perfect way to start each day. I load up with a cup of coffee and spend the first hour of the morning in total bliss! The following review is of the real Royal Yacht and not the current dummied down, Maple Syrup cased Orlik version -
Royal Yacht is not for neophytes. The tobacco spice upon lighting, and the powerful dose of nicotine will cross the eyes and blurr the vision of newbies.
If you enjoy true tobacco taste (the virginia base is excellent) then you will enjoy this powerful blend. It can be smoked all day with no fatigue or tongue bite. The delicate flavoring only adds to the enjoyment. Royal Yacht is certainly the Nectar of the Gods! I smoke about two 50g tins of this tobacco a month. Although I was always flunking math in high school and college, I do believe that adds up to about 24 tins per year. And it is delicious with just about any drink (save milk, perhaps). Let it dry out a bit before loading and smoking. But, not too much -- you don't want any of that wonderful and unique flavoring to evaporate! :)
The newer Orlik version is void of the depth of flavor the Murray's version was famous for. Not only lighter in flavor but the completely different Caramel/Maple Syrup topping is off-putting to me. Still lots of vitamin "N" but just not my cup of tea.
By the way, we used the new Royal Yacht as our competition blend at last year's annual Slow Smoking Contest at my pipe club. The winner said afterwards that he was woozy the whole time he smoked. The runner-up set his pipe down, ran to the nearest trash can and tossed his cookies.
Best,

Pipestud

protestantpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 20, 2013
Pipestud,
I have an old tin of Murray's RY as well. I will crack it and try it out. Thanks for the review.

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
Since I've never tried Murray's I guess I will just have to continue my on again off again relationship with it. Too bad we can't smoke the good old brands that are now extinct.

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
"The runner-up set his pipe down, ran to the nearest trash can and tossed his cookies."

^Lol

Wellington

Dec 31, 2012
Ive only tried Mr. B's rendition of this blend, no idea if its even close, but I liked Mr. B's version, nothing to write home about, but it was alright.

adam2

Might Stick Around
Jun 8, 2013
Haven't smoked it for 20+ years. Remember it as very good and special Would like to try it again if I am lucky to find a tin someday.

Status
Not open for further replies.