PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

elessar

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2019
I was browsing pipes and cigars last week. As is normal on the right column of the screen it shows similar blends to the one you are looking at. For some reason, I don't know why, I clicked on the Royal Yacht. Knowing it to be long out of stock I was shocked to see it listed as in stock. What the heck, I threw 5 tins in my cart thinking it was a glitch. Nothing ventured... I even got a shipping confirmation. Well much to my surprise 5 tins of Royal Yacht and some other goodies showed up today. Quite a nice surprise. Now it shows once again as out of stock. Hopefully some of you were also lucky enough to get in on the action. A well hidden Easter egg on the part of P&C.

gerryp

Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
Wow good timing on your part!
Speaking of Dunhill: Boswell's has Deluxe Navy Rolls for $26. I'd never had it so I ordered a tin. As of yesterday they had more than 20 left.

skydog

Jun 27, 2017
Speaking of Dunhill: Boswell's has Deluxe Navy Rolls for $26. I'd never had it so I ordered a tin. As of yesterday they had more than 20 left.
At that price they may have them longer than you'd think. I stocked up when P&C was doing a tin each of Escudo and DNR for ~16 bucks total. As much as I do like DNR better than Escudo, I don't like it that much better. There's just not $10+ difference in taste to me. I do wish I'd put away a few more tins of Elizabethan but don't like it enough to pay a premium for it.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I put away 40 tins of Elizabethan a few years ago when it was still under $10/tin. No way I could ever bring myself to pay $26 for a 1.76 oz tin, too many other great blends still available for much less.

elessar

Apr 24, 2019
P&C had the Royal Yacht at their normal price of $12.50. Nice to see they weren't gouging anyone on it. They most certainly could have raised their price. Good on them I say.

gerryp

Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
I hear what y'all are saying about the inflated price. Normally I wouldn't bite, but at 26 bucks I figured it was an affordable luxury considering I never got around to trying it and I wanted to see how it compared to Escudo et al. On the other hand, hell would freeze over before I paid almost $100 on Ebay for a can of Frog Morton's Cellar, and I really like Frog Morton's Cellar. Same with Durbar, St. James Woods, EMP, and other blends I enjoyed in the past...been there, done that.
Last time I saw DNR at a local B&M, they wanted 18 bucks for it iirc. I'm willing to spend an extra few bucks (not 80 though) for something I want that's going extinct. I've wasted more money on things that gave me much less in return. :wink:

ebnash

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2019
Los Gatos, CA
My local B&M had some Dunhill tins on shelf they had recently acquired. When I asked, they said one of their distributors came into quite a bit. Royal Yacht is what they had the most of. I asked him to look into Dunhill Flake and they only had the Dark Flake.
This aligns with what I see available on the bay. There are still stockpiles out there. I’ll bet they are holding back on the most popular blends...

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
$26 USD = $34 CAD
still cheap by our standards!
No joke! Even knowing the heinous taxation on it for our poor .ca pals, I'm STILL constantly astonished at the scandalous prices they have to pay for leaf. }:(

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
My local cigar shop here in the Bay Area had some RY (maybe some 965) as of last month. I suspect they still do. It's not a big fave of mine, but I hope those tins go to good homes.
Nice score.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
One might ask why discontinued blends are in ready supply from major retailers and shops. Maybe they weren't selling as well as we think and there's a large backlog? Something funky about it, but I've come to the place where I don't speculate because I've moved on. I'll enjoy the Dunhill blends I have, may order another tin or two on a whim, and see what happens. I do think the brand is sort of dancing on the customer's face, but maybe I'm a sour ball and grumpy old man. A guiding principle of business is, know what business you are in. I would add to that, know if you are in business.

gerryp

Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
My tin of Navy Rolls arrived today. The date code was 11/16. Just for grins I checked ebay, and some enterprising individual had the same thing with a buy it now price of $79.
I'll be keeping mine, unless one of you makes it really worth my while. I'll start the bidding at $500.
Ok, $300.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some folks enjoy things a lot more if they pay a lot more. Hence the $95 t-shirt.

elessar

Apr 24, 2019
mso489, sad but true. Those high priced tins will stay that way as long as people keep buying.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
From what I was told, a small supply was found in the warehouse that no one was aware of. I'm glad you got to take advantage.
Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.