PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
Just checking out SP and noticed that Royal Yacht is no longer even shown. https://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/dunhill/ Does this mean that is all she wrote for that blend and there is no new stock coming in?

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
There's bits and pieces of Dunhill stock at various retailers, but yeah, by and large it's getting very ugly. Hopefully some kind of phoenix will rise from the ashes, it would be a shame to see these blends disappear.

Dec 24, 2012
Yep. It's the case for all Dunhills.
I knew that was the case eventually, but had also heard there was a fair amount of stock left in the system. Maybe not so much anymore though. That was the point of my post.

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Not completely gone, they are still at my BnM for 64$ a tin. Good news for you guys in the states it’s in Canadian dollars.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
https://paylesscigarsandpipes.com/dunhill-royal-yacht-tin make effort padawan.

https://www.bnbtobacco.com/products/dunhill-royal-yacht-pipe-tobacco

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have one lonely unopened tin I'm saving for a RY emergency. I'm one of those fully disoriented optimists that thinks most of the big selling Dunhill blends will re-emerge either as accurate matches or expropriated re-named duplicates. The Dunhill blends were money makers of a kind, and I am skeptical that the industry will just walk away. That's like leaving a twenty dollar bill on the sidewalk and supposing it will stay there until you get back. I don't think so.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I had a friend bring some for me this evening from Germany ... but stocks are dwindling there too.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I have one lonely unopened tin I'm saving for a RY emergency. I'm one of those fully disoriented optimists that thinks most of the big selling Dunhill blends will re-emerge either as accurate matches or expropriated re-named duplicates. The Dunhill blends were money makers of a kind, and I am skeptical that the industry will just walk away. That's like leaving a twenty dollar bill on the sidewalk and supposing it will stay there until you get back. I don't think so.
I have my doubts about whether rebranded Dunhill blends will be sold at all in the U.S. due to the FDA deeming regs. Based on my understanding of those regulations, rebranded blends would be considered post-2007 blends subject to the "substantial equivalency" requirements, and who knows how much bureaucracy that might involve. Anyhow, I think there is a real chance that we are seeing the last of the Dunhill blends. I suppose they could be manufactured and sold until the deeming regulations begin to be enforced (currently scheduled for 2021 I believe) but who knows. It's a guessing game.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I have my doubts about whether rebranded Dunhill blends will be sold at all in the U.S. due to the FDA deeming regs. Based on my understanding of those regulations, rebranded blends would be considered post-2007 blends subject to the "substantial equivalency" requirements, and who knows how much bureaucracy that might involve. Anyhow, I think there is a real chance that we are seeing the last of the Dunhill blends. I suppose they could be manufactured and sold until the deeming regulations begin to be enforced (currently scheduled for 2021 I believe) but who knows. It's a guessing game.
You've summed it up completely and neatly.
But, believers will continue to believe, however irrational that belief. If they resurface under another name, it will be temporary and you better stuff your cupboards. Keep in mind that the Dunhill blends would not have qualified for grandfathering in any case, because BAT pulled them from the US market for a time. They were doomed, I tell you, DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!!!!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
sable', I know you're likely right. Ordinarily blending matches would churn into gear, but then there's the whole deeming regulation issue in the U.S. Still I wonder if market forces will chew away in the regular market or in a black market. Hey, buddy, wanna buy a tin of Nightcap, only seventy bucks?

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
You've summed it up completely and neatly.

But, believers will continue to believe, however irrational that belief. If they resurface under another name, it will be temporary and you better stuff your cupboards. Keep in mind that the Dunhill blends would not have qualified for grandfathering in any case, because BAT pulled them from the US market for a time. They were doomed, I tell you, DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!!!!
I was unaware that Dunhill was briefly off the U.S. market previously. Double DOOOOOOOOOMED!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.