PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
On a recent trip to my nearest B+M shop (Harvey's of Redruth) I picked up my usual and two new to me blends, one of which was Dunhill's Royal Yacht. As always I couldn't wait to get home and try out my new acquisitions. With a cup of Typhoo I settled down and dug out my McQuade bent bulldog, my preferred pipe for testing purposes.
Upon opening the round 50g tin & peeling back the paper I spied a pleasant mix of mid to dark brown shreds that had an amazing aroma (don't they all?), sweet freshly mown hay came to mind along with a hint of figs or dates. As I always do I tipped the contents onto a copper tray to get some air to it but to be honest this blend didn't appear to be overly moist like so many are.
Filling the bowl was a doddle due to the ribbon cut of the tobacco. Char light and tamp then light proper and we were away. Huge clouds of smoke was the first thing that struck me but it did settle down. Once going proper I could taste the figs/dates in the sweetness of the smoke along with perhaps caramel. I remember thinking 'if this is straight Virginia tobacco then I like straight Virginia tobacco'.
Mid bowl I detected a slightly spicey/peppery hint that surprisingly went well with the dried fruit flavours. No relights were required but if things started to slow down a couple of tugs brought things back again along with more clouds of white smoke. The nicotine content was reasonable without knocking me sideways but I should imagine it would if smoked hard. No tongue bite and zero moisture left in the bowl so no complaints there.
I found this to be almost midway twixt medium & strong, and was reminded of Mellow Virginia though I find MV to be that much more fruity throughout.
Will I be buying this again? I most certainly will though I do baulk at paying an extra £1 per tin simply because it is labelled 'Dunhill'. I have read that the current version is not as good as the Murray produced version so can only wonder at how much more I would have liked it back then.
Sitting here as I am on a lazy Sunday afternoon sipping RY from a bucket bowled Bari egg shaped Oom Paul, listening to the birds twittering and matey across the road mowing his lawn (again) as the sun streams in through my window I feel all is well in the world.
A definite 5 star blend to this relative newcomer (10 months) to pipesmoking.
Regards,
Jay.

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
I have smoked RY since Dunhill made it, and the current incarnation is my favorite. Maybe old age has dulled my taste buds, but this is the best.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Now that you like Royal Yacht time to venture on over the GH&Co. to sample some of their Indian leaf; Bogie, Brown Irish X, Dark Bird's Eye and the like.

ahmadothman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
Welcome to the brotherhood of RY lovers.. It just grabs you and never let go.. And it is a surprise you detected figs/dates.. While most people, me included detect a strong plum aroma and flavour..

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Who? ;)
Great review. I agree that Royal Yacht should be cheaper, and Dunhill blends in general. Watch for those 20% sales is all I can say.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
As with all Dunhill blends, and as all good-quality blends should, the moisture level of RY is perfect out of the tin. Drying it dulls whatever the topping flavor is, and you end up with pretty much a straight VA nic bomb that to me tastes akin to what I recall a Gauloise cigarette tasted like the few times I puffed on one.
Sip RY and you get the unique flavor of the topping, which I think it what people either love or hate. Smoke it faster and it tastes like Galoises cigarettes.
I tend find the longer I smoke RY the less I like it. Give myself a break from it for several months and I like it again. Right now I'm on one of those breaks.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I tend find the longer I smoke RY the less I like it.
Interesting. The more I smoke it, the more I want it, in its two forms: the "Cosmic method" of smoking it fresh from the tin, and what I previously did and happens inevitably, which is drying off the top flavoring and enjoying it dry.
It helps to not view it as a Va/Per, but a Virginia that demands full attention, generally through (as you mention) slow sipping.
This is the ultimate all-day tobacco for hard days, which are better than boring days.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Well folks, spurred on by my recent 'new to me' blends and the pleasure they have given me I have just put in another order and it goes like this...
Germain's Rich Dark Flake
Ditto Brown Flake
Gawith & Hoggarth Dark Birdseye
Ditto Best Brown #2
Ditto Dark Flake Aromatic
Rattray's Hal 'o' The Wynd
The last one I was in two minds about as the minimum order is 100g so quite a gamble on that one. As for the Dark Birdseye I believe this to be a shag cut which I associate with hand rolling baccy but matey on the 'phone assures me it works fine in a pipe...well he would wouldn't he?
Any thoughts on any of the above are most welcome.
Regards,
Jay.

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
I see you've already gotten through a bit of those by your recent reviews, but somehow I missed this Royal Yacht review.
It seems that one current theme in the blends you like is the African and Indian grown Virginia leaf, which is quite a different beast from your standard Virginia. I've heard the user deathmetal refer to it as "Imperial" Virginia leaf which I quite like.
Anyway, this Imperial Virginia leaf is the central component in Royal Yacht, the Gawith twists, the more robust Gawith flakes, and Dark Birdseye. In contrast to the brighter yellows and sassy red Virginias, the Imperial Virginia leaf is dark, spicy, almost cigar-like at times, and heavy in nicotine.
I just mention this because I discovered that this was my favorite leaf, and it seems to be a present in many of my favorite blends.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I find VA's taste too much like Canadian cigarettes. However, I'll certainly pick up a tin and cellar it with all my other VA's. I'm too busy enjoying Latakia, Oriental, and Burley forward blends to be patient enough to learn how to enjoy a Virginia. I know the day will come, I'm just not ready, yet.

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
Dottie, that's funny--in the U.S. we associate Burley with cigarettes, but I'm told in other countries it's the reverse.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Yes Beast, i'm on a bit of a tobacco trialling trip at the moment. Today arrived some beauties, Rattray's Brown Clunee & Wallace Flake, Dunghill's Flake, De Luxe Navy Rolls & Ready Rubbed and some Mac Baren Acadian Perique. Looks like I have an interesting weekend ahead of me.
I have yet to try any ropes or plugs though I expect I shall in the not too distant future :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.