Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

C

Corcoran-Rooney

I've been smoking the pipe for about eight months now, so 'm not going to be able to offer the type of sophisticated reviews we are treated to by some of the more senior smokers, both here and the sister site. I am as yet unable to deconstruct flavours in any meaningful way. But this is why I love this blend, the simplicity of it is fantastic. Two flavours, one virginia, which I have grown to love, and the other a plum topping which adds to the sweetness of the mixture, without becoming cloying or sickly sweet. It burns even, and cool, yet the flavours are strong and pronounced. I have just smoked a bowl of it, , and I can feel a full on nic hit, despite smoking at a very modest pace. Because of the strength of this tobacco, I was able to resist the urge to puff like an engine as soon as I found a flavour I like (something I am sure is a common mistake for ex-ciggie newbies). The fullness allowed me to smoke light, and the moisture content made constant relights redundant. This moves to the top of my favourite tobaccos, and marks my first, very amatuer review. I doubt I have found the vaunted Holy Grail, but this is clearly a highly superior tobacco. As far as I can tell at any rate, I am sure I will be corrected lol

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
From one relative newbie to another, I can say that you've done a fine job reviewing. Very succinct and informative, and that's all a review really needs to be. I've never tried RY, but that's chiefly due to being overwhelmed by the amount of blends I currently have, many of which I still have yet to try. I have also managed to curb my TAD, but that is a secondary reason. If I ever sample it in the future, I will remember to press lightly on the accelerator, as I tend to be in the Mario Andretti realm of smoking speed.

Thanks for the review! ?

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Well done! Although you lack any meaningful descriptions of the actual flavors and sensations of the blend I actually think you nailed it!
Royal Yacht is exactly what you say and then some.
And again this adds to my conviction that the best blends for newbies are strong and flavorful tobacco forward blends that are relatively easy to work with.
Like Royal Yacht.
Thanks for the review.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've enjoyed one of the "old" tins of Dunhill Royal Yacht and have another one on hand, but in the meantime was gifted a tin of Peterson Royal Yacht that I am smoking, which is made by the same blender. I enjoy it a lot. As a devoted burley smoker, I think that RY seems the most burley-like blend of Virginia blends I've tried, something about the strength of the base tobacco and the lively flavoring. That's a good review, true to what you know, and well put.

StrawBunyan

Lurker
Sep 18, 2021
Tennessee
Just started smoking a pipe about 4 days ago.
Ordered a tin of Royal Yacht today. I wanted to try an Aromatic but I'm not a fan of cremes, vanillas, Cherry, birthday cake, chocolate, liquorice etc etc.
Thank you for the review, it was well done and I'm glad I made the purchase I did.
I was going to go with 3Ps at first but the royal yacht has more nicotine so it won, even for the extra 3.50. can't wait to try it out. You review made me think I should have gotten 2, hopefully I'll be adding it to my cart again next month.

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
Am I the only one that got a buttery, Werther's Original/caramel flavour out of Royal Yacht ?

I must admit, after a good day's of manual labour, Royal Yacht with a cold, malty lager is hard to beat.
Or whatever other beer that matches RY's body and flavour would work I'd imagine, just a good hearty tobacco..

I need to order more..

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Ideally the taste of the tobacco is the main reason for smoking it, and nicotine, in whatever measure, contributes to the savor. I say ideally as there are many guys for whom the nicotine is the main attraction. It's not civilized.

Oh! I was one of those guys.

What the f... No gagging, no room spins, no dragging your tongue across the carpet to remove the taste... so many people are now liking Royal Yacht, that I am starting to think that they've monkey'd with the recipe. I'm glad that I put back a dozen or so tins of the repulsive stuff that I fell in love with. I'm afraid to try this new stuff, sounds terrible. puffy

Reggie

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2020
Gardendale, Alabama
Fine review. I have cellared deep in RY. I was put off by it after the first few bowls but then I slowed my cadence and paired with a cool drink and it hit all the right buttons. Rarely do I call a specific blend my everyday smoke but, THE RY is what I reach for daily.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
guess what I personally find useless. Those reviews that dig into all the nuance. It just isn't how I smoke, nothing wrong with it. My point is while those reviews are great and clearly super helpful to a lot of people. More experiential reviews that say what the experience is like versus a more fine toothed deconstruction are as useful and as important. That's my point, is more reviews and more styles of reviews is better and more useful and more useful to more people.
Also you can get a better idea of what is in a blend if you have a spectrum of experience describing the blend. Also writing reviews helps sharpen ones palate, even if you're like me and don't bother to share most of them.