PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
I acquired a box of some assorted old tins a few years ago. Out of the dozen or so in the box were two that I was curious about, but I had no idea of their age or condition. Unfortunately, they all seemed to have been stored badly and were rusted or otherwise compromised. I left the box in the garage for a couple of years and finally decided to throw it all out as it seemed unlikely anything could be salvaged.
But hope springs eternal, so I opened the last few just to check and amazingly one was still moist. This is a tin of MacBarens Royal Twist which seems to date from the 60's or 70's. The inner paper refers to "ripe Virginia, Cavendish, Perique and a touch of Latakia. There was no indication of a vacuum seal when I opened it, but the mixture smokes reasonably well with a fairly full English flavor and just a hint of whatever topping MacBarens seems to always use in their blends.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
The old Royal Twist was pretty spicy, I found, the perique was quite present in the tin I had (Martin Bros era, so pretty old). I actually prefer the new version - roll cake is a lot friendlier to my palate.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Royal Twist was one of my favorites back when I worked in the biz. You've got some seeeerious good stuff. there, especially if it's still moist after all these years!

Status
Not open for further replies.