PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Newly refreshed. If any of the Comoy experts could help me out a bit on the date and the clover looking stamp I would really appreciate that!
18531620-orig.jpg

18531625-orig.jpg

Royal Comoys, no apostrophe

18531624-orig.jpg

Shamrock stamp?

18531623-orig.jpg

Made in England in a circle

18531622-orig.jpg

London Made

18531619-orig.jpg

Thank you for your help,

Don

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Found some info on pipedia about Kaywoodies with a “clover” stamp but nothing on Comoy’s. Wasn’t Kaywoodie jointly owned by Comoy’s at one time?
And damn, that pipe is gorgeous!

Aug 1, 2012
Beautiful pipe! I would say that the COM stamp puts it in the 30s - 50s. However the straight Comoys stamp without the apostrophe indicates late 40s-50s. The little clover/club stamp is a bit of a puzzler though. If I were to guess, I would say that it was added by a shop or owner after it left the factory.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The line reappeared after WWII, according to an old Tony Sodermans's (on a pipe with similar stamping). That stamping was used up to 1981 or so, and it's not clear when the line disappeared.
Great looking bulldog!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Here's some info:

https://rebornpipes.com/tag/royal-comoy/

"Royal Comoy's" seems to be the older, higher grade line. I agree with the Captain, a shop probably added the shamrock. Which is kind of cool!

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Thank you guys for the information! I am very pleased with this pipe, it is my first Comoy.
Don

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Well you should be, Don. God, that grain. I'm dyin' here, dyin'! I've got a lot of Comoys, but none that old or gorgeous!
Bill

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Do you have the pipe in hand yet? If so does it the metal reinforcement in the tenon?

doctorbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
You have an early iteration of the line, almost certainly pre-war. When introduced in the mid thirties it was Comoy's highest grade of pipe. They were all, such as yours, straight grain pipes. Your COM stamping, and the graining of the pipe are consistent of the period where they were Comoy's king-of-the-heap.
The Royal Comoys did not remain the highest grade for very long, as the Blue Riband was introduced shortly thereafter. Your pipe, if it came out of the factory after the early 40's would have the Riband stamping.
The Royal Comoys line was progressively downgraded until it ended up as an essentially entry level Comoy, not a second, but nothing spectacular. All high grade Royal Comoys are stamped in ROYAL COMOYS, most (but not all) of the later, lower grade versions were stamped ROYAL COMOY without the S. All of them have straight, vs. curved COMOY stamps regardless of the era.
This is a great pipe, is it the one on ebay a while back?
PS The shamrock is an unknown stamp to me.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Don J Giles, I love old Comoy pipes.
That bulldog of yours is a beauty! Gorgeous grain, and it looks very well cared for.
When I get set up on photobucket (or somewhere to post pics), I too want to show mine and get help with obtaining the rough manufacture dates. More because I’m a duffer history buff and I’d like to see what was going on in the world when my Comoys were made.
Also, my little Comoys smoke like a dream. It looks like someone pulled the stingers out of some (fine by me :).
PS: I love that shamrock on the stummel! Too cool.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Thank you doctorbob.

This is a great pipe, is it the one on ebay a while back?
It was on ebay last week and I think I grabbed before anyone else noticed it, from out in California.

Thank you for the information, I knew there was a Comoy collector out there!
diamonback, thank you.

When I get set up on photobucket (or somewhere to post pics), I too want to show mine and get help with obtaining the rough manufacture dates.
I can't wait to see your photos! With the knowledge and the kindness to share that information on this forum, I am sure someone can help.
Don

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
When I get set up on photobucket (or somewhere to post pics), I too want to show mine and get help with obtaining the rough manufacture dates.
Unless photobucket has changed its policy, you won't be allowed to post your photos to remote servers unless you pay them $500 annually for the privilege. I use imgur, which has a very easy to use interface and doesn't (as of yet) charge me extra. You can also upload your images to the PM site and avoid any issues.
Don, that's an exquisite pipe!

Status
Not open for further replies.