PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
I have been enjoying the three Royal Cajun blends from McClelland. I had avoided all Virginas for a long time until I learned how to smoke them. I always found straight Vas to be underwhelming in taste and too sweet and I was getting bit, a lot. Over the past year I have seriously been pursuing this tobacco. Once I had mastered the skill of slowing down my smoking rythm and concentrating on my smoke...it all fell into place. I love the subtleness of the Virgina tobaccos now. I've been on a Va binge now, trying all kinds of blends.
I was intrigued by the chance to taste a new kind of condiment leaf, according to McClelland its the first new tobacco leaf in forty years. I bought one tin each of Dark, Ebony, and Special. All are fantastic! The Royal Cajun is a Virgina thats as black as a cavendish and offers a rich smokey flavor that we usually associate with latakia. So, basically, you have a Lat rich taste with the cool sweetness of Virginas. Many of the new blends have a big "smack you in the face" flavor. This is all well and good, but I got tired of that. I wanted a deeper, subtle experience, that surprises all through the bowl. These blends do it in spades, for me.
It smokes like an aromatic, with a mild strength, and great flavors that tease the palate.
Anyone else try these? They've been available for a long time, but they are brand new to me.

riptide

Jul 27, 2010
Colorado
I have yet to try them My local B&M carries them I just might have to go and buy one of them Monday.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I LOVE Royal Cajun! It's a very smooth smoke; I usually will smoke it between bowls of latakia blends to "cleanse the palatte". It's actually prepared in the same fashion as perique (under pressure in smoking barns) but doesn't have the "pepper" flavor.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Cajun or Acadian Black is a very unique blending tobacco, as it's kind of a cross of Virginia, Perique and Latakia. It's made by smoking Virginia in a method similar to dark-fired Kentucky (less smoke flavor than Latakia) and then it's pressed in barrels and fermented like Perique. It's a very different flavor than Perique or Latakia due to the high sugar content of the Virginia.
Russ

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
I am terrible at describing these things...but sweet and smokey are two words that fit.
Do you have any other blends to recommend that use it, Russ?

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
Its all good stuff Mark. Unusual from your standard Va. blend and well worth a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.