PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2010
I've got a few blends that are much more coarse and varied than what I've smoked in the past. Namely MC5110, but also Westminster to a degree. Great smokes, but I have the hardest time packing them in a way that burns evenly down the bowl, and keeping them lit. They also don't tamp as well as they seem to burn to a rigid consistency until they are all ash.
Does anyone rub these a little bit to break them up? Does anyone else have these same concerns?

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Hi Jayh,

I don't know that I "rub" out too many blends, but I do tend to break up the larger bits to make the blend a little more consistent throughout.

But, that's just me.

zunismoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2010
NC
I know what you are talking about re: Coarse blends. I have had several that burn like you said to a rigid consistency. I have not tried breaking them into smaller pieces, but maybe I will in the future.

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
I smoke a lot of 5110 and find that it usually needs a little drying time before you load the bowl. Pack it a little looser than you're used to and I think you'll have better luck with it.

nmbigfoot02

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2011
I've been smoking Sutliff's CD Blend, and it's a fairly rough cut of Burley/VA. I've found packing it losely at the beginning of the smoke and tightening up the draw during tamping works best.

Status
Not open for further replies.