PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Looking for some opinions on this one. Roseberry Extra. My first impression, going by the Made in England COM mark, is that this is a pre-war Comoy's made pipe. I can't find any reference to Roseberry as specifically being a Comoy's, so any help on that would be appreciated. The other thing about the pipe, is it has no marked shape number, but looking through Comoy's catalogs, it looks like what would become shape 342, an Extraordinaire shape, similar to an LB, so, any opinions on that would also be helpful.
regent8-016-600x450.jpg

regent8-021-600x450.jpg

K

klause

Dave, I can' add anything to this - I'll leave that to the experts in such matters - but, what I can say is that you have an absolutely gorgeous pipe there. Beautiful.
Is the stem made from horn? Push or screw tenon? I think I see a stamp on the stem - is there ? Looks like an 'S'.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Stem is vulcanite, marked with a capital R. I have not taken it apart yet, but I think it is just a standard push tenon.

jimbo44

Might Stick Around
Aug 2, 2010
I've replied more fully elsewhwere, Dave, but "Who Made That Pipe" lists Rosebery Extra as being madeby Comoy; Comoy's factory pre-Cadogan was on Rosebery Avenue, London.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Comoy's factory pre-Cadogan was on Rosebery Avenue, London.
From more detailed information Jimbo provided,
"...while Nos 72–82 were home for more than 50 years from 1913 to H. Comoy & Co., briar-pipe manufacturers."
Nos 72–82 in 2007. Lewis Solomon, architect, 1905, with added top storeys.
nos-72-82-roseberry-600x361.jpg

See also for source material,
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/survey-london/vol47/pp109-139

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The "Made In England" stamp is identical to my 1930's Comoys Extraordinaire. That is a great shape.

My copy of "Who Made That Pipe" was delivered yesterday, but I didn't open it until after reading Jimbo's remark!

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
It is certainly large enough to be an Extraordinaire, here it is with a 127 (a work in progress) which is one of the Extraordinaire shapes, and a 6, which is a standard Comoy's size pipe, grp 3/4.
roseberry127-015-600x450.jpg

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Is there a fill on it that bumped it to a second? The grain looks pretty good from my screen!
I can see, using a magnifying glass, one very, very small flaw (pit) in the briar, as distinct from just normal handling/usage marks, on the right hand side. The pipe is is great condition, rim is sharp inside and out, chamber is clean and without issue, stem has just the usual oxidation, no teeth marks.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I got this Devonshire with the same shape and stamping.
Thanks for the link to the Devonshire, seeing the shape, with shape number stamped, closes the case for me.

May 31, 2012
Wow!
I can't believe I somehow missed this thread.
Excellent info about Rosebery Avenue too!

I really need to start keeping a written file on all this stuff, I'm scattershot with a stack of cut 'n paste notepad notes with no organization whatsoever.
Anyway,

what a great looking pipe!
No doubt a Comoy, and I'd also say pre-war just because the grain is so damn good, and the stem looks high quality too from the pix.
If it was blasted, I'd be in very deep love with that thing!
love-004.gif

Great thread!
I definitely prefer the Comoy's 2nds to the Sasieni 2nds,

I think they might just be tied with how many different lines they each had?
Congrats!

:puffy:

K

klause

Dave, that link to the history page was brilliant, and passed an hour or two.
Great thread, and learnt a lot - cheers.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Dave, that link to the history page was brilliant, and passed an hour or two.
Jason, cool. Yes that page was great (thanks Jim) some terrific pictures and history.

Status
Not open for further replies.