PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Just short notice here, finally got me that Ropp Vintage with horn steam(Mini- Candian model) and tell you what, the quality of briar was unexpectedly high class as for price, whereas that stem is a bit clumsy aand had obviously that hard teeth feel

(minor mislined)smokes spectaculary well,the drill/airhole as usual it usual case with the French make is on hair narrower side in comparition to popular pipes such as stanwell- Petes or Stanwell, so judging by this one it seems they pretty good value and suit well for short smoke and when doing other activties thanks to their lightweight profile,

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
I have two and I am dumbfounded by how good the briar is vis a vi the price. They smoke really well. I don't mind the horn, though the pipes are featherweight - if they were any bigger I might have a different opinion. A great deal and really unique.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
On a whim I bought a cutty. The only problem I had with it was,while the bowl was well drilled the stem was very narrowly drilled. A few minutes with some 200 grit abrasive cord fixes that just fine.
While it is still an odd clench, it's so light I can deal with it.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I picked up a billiard and liked it, but not enough to keep it. The horn stem was soft enough, but as others mentioned was thick and uncomfortable. The quality of the briar was surprisingly good and the pipe was drilled dead on. The pipe smoked with a slightly restricted draw. I just couldn't get past the poorly made stem and had to let it go. It's too bad because I would have paid some extra change for the one I owned, and probably bought more, if the stems weren't so terrible; and it wasn't the horn that was the problem for me. It was the poor level of craftsmanship and engineering. These were obviously meant to be a novelty of sorts, kind of a rustic smokeable classic thing; but had so much more potential if some time would have been taken with the stems.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Just had thought possibly I may have later another standard steam fitted-thsi caneroadpiper on you tube is kinda master in grafting and fitting new stems- but again paying shipping rates for two directions make this a little bit nonsense, but yes-even the light weight it is,to get accustomed clenching it seems a bit ennoying challenge,yet the overall craftsmanship-well let me put it this way,satisfactory..there still is something to be found the alignement of stem is somewhat mislined.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
I have a Ropp of that run, a nifty little bulldog. I like it. Not a clencher given the mouth feel of the stem, but handsome and smokes very well.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I purchased a sandblasted billiard with the horn stem when they first became available. Pros: light weight, good drilling, excellent smoking qualities. Cons: the soft bone stem is comfy for me but quickly acquired teeth marks from clenching. I like the idea of trying different stem materials, and like the pipe, but I think the bone stems fell out of use because more durable materials are available. I will keep it and smoke it, but if I ever bite through the stem I will probably re-stem with Vulcanite.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I love those french pipes and would buy more but I really don't get why they have to drill it so narrow.
I've got a Chacom USA dublin and it's a great pipe but can barely pass a pipe cleaner. Forget a fluffy one.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The idea of a horn stem is appealing, but most don't find the feel that comfortable. It's a difficult material to work well, apparently, and to get a good button and a comfortable width. I have a Ropp with a standard lucite stem. The draw is tight but not unpleasantly restrictive, and the bowl is of sufficient size, of new not vintage material. It's a nifty pipe, with reddish stain and stem, kind of a Christmas motif without being limited to that. I got this on some kind of sale, so it was a real buy.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I've been curious about these pipes too. I'm surprised they are drilled so narrowly as SPC made drilling and "mechanics" the focal point of the S.Beo pipes they brought to market years back which are priced in the ballpark.
Anyway, good to know.
Oh, several of you folks have commented on the high quality of the briar. Can I ask what it is about the briar that makes you feel this way?

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Oh, several of you folks have commented on the high quality of the briar. Can I ask what it is about the briar that makes you feel this way?
Thick walls, lightweight, a nice cross grain on the one I had, burned cool, no taste issues, drilled straight, decent capacity.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Cons: the soft bone stem is comfy for me but quickly acquired teeth marks from clenching.
I was surprised from the teeth marks that the coloring doesn't go all the way thru the horn. Leads me to wonder if the coloring has been added?

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I wish I bought one of those Sebastian Beo pipes from SP.com when they had them.
I wonder if they will ever get more.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Tell you what, got frustraited could notstand no more that hard and unconfortable feel of that horn stem,and then that drilling on the narrower side, so I went on and sold it for half a price,what a loss, Nevertheless the quality of briar was amazing, yes can't deny some minor flaws were present. Now I coming to realize that majority if not all French make pipes have narrow air flow/drilling , but again all these well known French pipes what I have owned in past were easy to break in something like Savinellis do,meanwhile my Peterons are definitely not,wondering how long it'll take before med.priced Peterson pipe would break in..and smoke as smooth as Savinellis do.

Status
Not open for further replies.