Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I am interested in ropes and twists, but find they are typically out of stock.

What are some ropes or twists that are more easily found? Obviously, the coins by Mac Baren, Newminster, and Stokkebye are wonderful and usually available. But I am more interested in trying whole ropes or twist tobacco.

Reactions: clynch

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's true, you have to lay in wait for them, but they do show up. GH is the most promising.

Any well sharpened knife will slice rope into coins, but a clever video on Forums showed how to use a quality (metal) cigar cutter to cut the rope into slices. Then you can fold and stuff or rub it out as you choose.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
None are easy to find, mainly because they're a specialty item and don't get made in quantity. Just wait until the next GH or SG shipment shows up online. You'll probably be to be able to get some brown bogie or black Irish X twist. The hardest of all to locate are the flavored GH ones, but you don't really need them anyway because the flavoring is extremely mild and at the core they're pretty much just brown twist.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
When the GH drop occurs I’d recommend to try and get a sample of each of the different sizes of their brown twist, and one of their black twists. Get these while or sliced. That will give you a good indication of how the ratio between wrapper and filler impact the flavour, as well as what steaming (black) does to it.

+1 to what Duane said about the American chew twists, I think king B is the easiest to come across.

also consider buying some whole leaf and twisting your own. I quite enjoyed making some halfzware using red Virginia and dfk. Once wrapped up tight I then put in a sealed jar and stoved over night in a crock pot. (Be mindful that you will need to dry down to a low case afterwards to avoid mould or vacuum seal)

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Bought some Brown Irish X today at a local B&M maybe there is a semi serious B&M semi near by , let your fingers do the walking ( that’s 70’s for call around) you never know. All else fails there will be a drop online someday , you can get email alerts on Smoking Pipes…

Reactions: The Amish Tyrant

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I am interested in ropes and twists, but find they are typically out of stock.

What are some ropes or twists that are more easily found? Obviously, the coins by Mac Baren, Newminster, and Stokkebye are wonderful and usually available. But I am more interested in trying whole ropes or twist tobacco.

If you're feeling adventurous, Synjeco usually has the ropes in stock. The only ones I'm aware of are made by G&H/SG. I like the SG Black xx, SG Brown no 4, and G&H Happy Brown Bogie the best.

Reactions: The Amish Tyrant

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
The taste of the beautiful drunk girls at the beaches of my college days (I didn't finish), but I sure had a good time..
man that's lame. Even if they're drunk you should at least let them finish too. So what kind of degree do you have? Hopefully it's not like that one guy I worked with had. He had a degree in self importance.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
man that's lame. Even if they're drunk you should at least let them finish too. So what kind of degree do you have? Hopefully it's not like that one guy I worked with had. He had a degree in self importance.

I didn't finish. I was a history major. Instead I wound up getting an A&P certification for aircraft maintenance.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I didn't finish. I was a history major. Instead I wound up getting an A&P certification for aircraft maintenance.
i perfer my amatuer history buffing. i don't have to get the dates precise. though i am starting to get good at identifying middle ages periods. well good for someone that can't tell you when precisely agincourt went down or even how it is spelled.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Richmond B., I got most of my undergraduate education under the gun of the selective service and minored in U.S. history and English. I think the majority of students would be happier getting something directly applicable to work. In fact, I got my degree in journalism in a curriculum that had us covering a beat for a city newspaper and selling magazine articles to commercial magazines. My first big sale was to Progressive Farmer, an article on agricultural research at the university. I think young people want to dive into it and do something that involves getting paid. Even my book-learning courses I visualized as potentially leading to paid projects of one kind or another ... which eventually they were, especially the biology courses. So aircraft maintenance sounds like a winner to me. It rings of reality and steady income.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I got a dog deuce of rum twist last February because it was on my bucket list. Curiosity satisfied. I can send you the remaining 80% if you pm me.
Like my first ever attempt at black XX twist. Looks fun, hell even smelled good. But my God what terrible garbage. Or even more realistically, my taste buds are terrible garbage. Yuck.

Also tried chewing it. There's no words to describe the terror of that day.

Still have that turd floating around somewhere.

• Haha
Reactions: TheWhale13

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I bought the smallest amount of rope tobacco to try it. I loaded my smallest pipe with this turd, Yes, it looks like it came out of the back end of a dog. I had a terrible time getting this to light. Eventually, I got the pipe smoking.

That was the most horrible taste I have ever experienced. It was even worse than my mother's Eggplant and Ocra surprise.

• Love
Reactions: TheWhale13