PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Lyon0oq

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 31, 2012
New Providence, NJ
So, I have my little "man cave" off the garage of our town house, and this is where I smoke my pipes, keep my tobacco, and yell at hockey games (when there are hockey games to yell at). Now, even with the garage door open, some of my smoke will waft up to the living room, Science and all. Over the past week, with the lady and I spending more and more time at home at the same times, the room notes of some of my smokes have been met with different levels of acceptance. The few aromatics I have all pass muster, no real surprise there. The Virginians also fly under the radar, I'm guessing because they burn cleaner than a lot of other tobaccos I have, but what do I know? Had a bowl of The Country Squire's Shepherd's Pie last night, and that was met with one word being shouted down the stairwell- STINKS!! Of course, that is still better than the reaction I got to a bowl of Dan Tobacco's Gordon Pym the other night, one that jokingly (sort of) suggested that if I wanted her to give back the ring, just keep smoking the Gordon Pym and she would be happy to oblige. So, has anyone else made any discoveries in their own personal pipe world since all this began?

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
My wife must work for Cater Hall, that one she never complains about. I can pretty much get away with any OTC as long as I say its Carter Hall. I've never had any luck with the aros, all the reviews claim wives love them.. This has not been my experience.

Shit no, I cant get by with an English blend inside. Haha

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
My wife, who is a cigarette smoker, hates all pipe tobacco. Go figure. I smoke what I want and let her deal with it. I'm in my den , with the filter turned on. To give an example of how finicky she is, I got up this morning and was sitting at my computer and after eating a couple of donuts I lit up a cigarette which is my normal routine. She comes into the kitchen and says, "whatever your smoking stinks". I was smoking the same brand of cigarette she smokes and I told her so. All she said was, "turn on the filter". She then sits down on the couch in the living room and lights a cigarette. She got no complaints from me. Can't live with them and can't live without them is all I can say.

Pierre1965

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2020
I have a few house blend lite aromatics from my local BM that my wife enjoys (sometimes she'll ask me to smoke a bowl), BUT... I like English blends and Latikia forward blends and those are out on the deck smokes. I don't blame her though because while I thoroughly enjoy smoking them I don't like the way they make a room smell and I don't have any idea how to exercise a Latakia ghost from your house :)

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
My mrs generally likes aromatics and vas. Everything else not so much.

Problem is she has allergies and is very sensitive to scents, so her aversion is not just a Latakia or English tobacco thing.

So no smoking in the house! I plan to build a man cave at some point.

Reactions: BROBS

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
I live with my girlfriend. She smokes a few cigs in a day...like one, or two. I smoke on the porch, or in my garage workshop. When I smoke in the garage with the door closed, the smoke travels through the attic or something magical like that and finds her inside the house wherever she is.

The verdict? Anything that’s not Latakia/Cigar based is fine. If I smoke a Lat bomb, I get told gently that “I can smell that inside sweetie.”

Personally, I LOVE the way a good full English makes the room smell. Combine that with the smell of walnut being cut on a table saw and I’m in heaven.

odobenus

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
When I do smoke inside, it's the garage, which my wife and I share. Pipe tobacco (Balkan/English/VAs), no comment. But if I smoke a cigar in there, and she fires up the car and the vent fills the cabin with stale Corojo or some such, I will hear about it.

Ctbill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2019
CT & VT
Personally, I LOVE the way a good full English makes the room smell. Combine that with the smell of walnut being cut on a table saw and I’m in heaven.

Now that sounds like a good combo for my “swamp” (aka basement)! Love it...

Reactions: BROBS

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
certain aros give strangers the sniff and smiles. The one that surprised me the most though for how well people react to the smell of the smoke is Nat Shermans English blend. I'll catch people sniffing the air and enjoying that one. Though the best reaction was from that cocoa C&D LTO "A Corn Cob Pipe and" .... something else. That even got a smile from the sad couple.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I always smoke on front porch. But my wife still smells it. Less so with VA and VA/Per. English, she notices as soon as I come back inside. So, I take time cleaning the pipe after the smoke, finish my drink, then walk around to the garage to get in leaving pipe in the garage to pick up later. No issue since then.