PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sholto

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 18, 2019
Kansas & (occasionally) Kendal, UK
Hello to all! Ex-lurker and figured it was time to say hi. Transplanted Brit living in Coeur d'Alene ID. Came here in 2002. Been on/off pipe smoker circa 1997. More off than on until 6 months ago when I gave up cigs and took the hobby seriously. Blessed with a wonderful local B&M and cigar lounge - Bulldog Pipe & Cigar. Used to live & work in Kendal UK which I am sure is a fairly well known town on here? Currently smoking SG FVF, Mcconnell Scottish Blend, Presbyterian and a couple others. My username is actually my real first name and possibly a few Conan Doyle readers may have heard it before. Born in Dumfries Scotland, oh and I'm a ham radio guy too.

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
Welcome from Kentucky, I've always wanted to get into ham radio, just haven't taken the plunge yet.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Welcome!
I like ham... :P
jay-roger.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome. Interesting bio. What moved you from Scotland to U.K. to Idaho? I'm in North Carolina, grew up in Chicagoland illinois, spent about ten years moving continually attending schools and in the U.S. Navy, but have been in N.C. since 1972.

sholto

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 18, 2019
Kansas & (occasionally) Kendal, UK
Thanks for the welcome guys. Now if I can just figure out why my avatar isn't displaying …
> Welcome. Interesting bio. What moved you from Scotland to U.K. to Idaho?
Moved to England when I was 12 and to US at age 30. A long story involving ex-wife etc.
When I lived in Kendal I didn't smoke a pipe and was only vaguely aware of SG and GH. There used to be a nice tobacconist on the main street (Fitzgerald??) which I occasionally went in but was looking for ciggies back then. Probably long gone by now.
> Glad to have you aboard. Do you listen to "I hear of Sherlock everywhere"?
Actually very few people have ever made the connection with my name. I guess in the books it is used as a surname but probably wasn't that uncommon in Victorian England & Scotland. If I had a buck for each time I had to repeat my name I would be a rich man.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Welcome aboard! I thought you were going to say that a sholto was some kind of mushroom.
I have The Complete Sherlock Holmes right here and do recall sholto.
Enjoy!

cachimbero

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2019
Cordoba, Spain
Welcome from Spain Sholto. I love peated whisky (not only from Islay, I love the one coming from Skye as well) , golf and Rattray. A bit Scottish I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.