PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Roasted mutton in Northwoods spices and a demi glaze, with fried peas and hominy. The peas are from a harvest last week, and I made the homony with lye myself.
...just in case you wondered what it would look like.
View attachment 61415

Way back in 1973, while a PFC in the Army, I took a tour of Switzerland with some friends. We did a lot of hiking one day and then went to one of the local restaurants. I had a big old slab of roasted mutton. To this day, some 48-years later, I remember the flavor of that mutton. If I could replicate it, I'd be broke and 200 pounds heavier!

What do you speak of here and how do you prepare it???....
Fried peas... just saute a shallot in olive oil and then add the peas till they just soften some.

Hominy... I dried this season’s white corn, then soaked it in a lye mixture to remove the husk and react with the corn to puff it up a bit. This makes it more digestible and tasty. I then have 20 lbs of corn meal and 5lbs of grits ground out of it. That leaves 75 pounds for us to eat and sell at the farmers market. You just boil it in water, milk, and butter. It may be a southern thing. Not sure.

Way back in 1973, while a PFC in the Army, I took a tour of Switzerland with some friends. We did a lot of hiking one day and then went to one of the local restaurants. I had a big old slab of roasted mutton. To this day, some 48-years later, I remember the flavor of that mutton. If I could replicate it, I'd be broke and 200 pounds heavier!
Sounds delicious. I always buy butchered. I’ve done goats whole, but never lamb. It’s just so expensive.

Grass or grain fed? Grass fed lamb from the UK/Oz/NZ tastes verrrrrrrry sheepy to me. Grain fed US lamb tastes very neutral in comparison. I was really surprised when I first had US mutton.
In Sand Mt, theres a sheep and goat farm, where we trade for meat. I’m pretty sure it gras fed. It is rather sheepy. But, the northwoods spice has a rosemarry in it, which pairs with the sheepyness, and really brightens the flavor.
Pan seared and then braised, we really like the taste. I also have a spice mix with mint and garlic that pairs well also. But, I prefer it smoked in.

Reactions: mingc

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
In Sand Mt, theres a sheep and goat farm, where we trade for meat. I’m pretty sure it gras fed. It is rather sheepy. But, the northwoods spice has a rosemarry in it, which pairs with the sheepyness, and really brightens the flavor.
Pan seared and then braised, we really like the taste. I also have a spice mix with mint and garlic that pairs well also. But, I prefer it smoked in.
Man, those all sound so mouthwatering!

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
Status
Not open for further replies.