PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Evening, all.
I frequently see Roadtown pipes on eBay, and many of them really catch my eye. The only reason I haven't ever purchased one is stories I've heard of "off" tastes when smoked. I'm pretty handy with refurbishing and altering pipes, so if it was just a bowl coating or something, I'd be happy to take the risk and fiddle with one, but if it's some sort of unsafe chemical used in the production, then I'd rather not. Does anybody have any experience with these? Are there any survivors out there who have smoked a chemical tasting Roadtown pipe and are still alive to tell about it haha?

Nov 18, 2018
<p>Good morning, I see nobody has responded to your post about the Road Town pipes. I was wondering if you ever tried any out. As I too pipe shop on eBay often and they really are a eye catcher. Look like very good looking high quality detailed briars. Happy smoking and happy thanksgiving

bouwser

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2018
I have a couple and find no problem with them. You can get some pretty handsome pipes from them.

Reactions: Scottmi

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I did indeed purchase a Roadtown pipe, and just to be "safe," I sanded out the bowl coating. I think it is a fantastic looking and smoking pipe, a bamboo-shanked sandblasted poker, for $20. Very pleased!

Nov 18, 2018
Thanks so much for both of you guys responding to my curiosity on these sexy sophisticated looking pipes! I’ll indeed be starting out with atleast a couple of them.

hoppes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2017
I bought a bulldog pipe from them. It looked quite regular size in the photos but in person is quite tiny.It smokes fine and is a very nice piece of briar. I would make sure the size of the pipe before ordering. Hoppes

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
I just recently acquired a Roadtown straight bulldog, and have not noticed any chemical smells or tastes. I'm rather happy that this one turned out to have a moderate-sized bowl capacity. Smokes nice, am enjoying this one.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Thank you for this thread. I hadn't heard of Roadtown pipes. Where are they made and who makes them? What's the bowl material? The stem? Price-wise, these sound like good pipes for new pipe smokers without a lot of discretionary spending, or anyone who likes attractive design. I'm not in the market myself, being rather well supplied with pipes, and with a request in for a Christmas pipe besides, but this is a good brand to know and perhaps recommend.

philairfoil

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
I have a few, all good. Made in China out of seemingly quality briar. I wouldn't worry too much, the price is right. If the coating scares you, take it off...I didn't. But I have been having dreams of Oriental women, so...

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I have several. They are handsome pipes. The bamboo ones have rather small diameter stem connectors, but they pass small cleaners and aren't too restrictive. The Huke grade pipes are really cool. I periodically look at these pipes on Ebay. It used to be you could get the stray odd one with an uncoated bowl, but I haven't seen that in a while. It being Chinese, I sand out the coating. It smells kinda funny, to me. But it sands out and the deals are unparalleled.

Status
Not open for further replies.