PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"He had reasonable health pretty much up until the end, didn't he Jay?"

This is true but of course he also had the best of treatments that are available, such that is perhaps not available to the everyday man on the street.

I remember remarking to my sister upon his release from hospital last time that he looked like a living corpse......and I never meant that in a mean spirited way.

Regards,

Jay.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Talk about making the best of a life circumstance that contradicted your nature and character. While he had to pad along behind his wife in public, she was insightful enough to let him run the households (palaces). Meanwhile, when young, he was a gifted athlete, and forever plain and outspoken and prone to the prickly undiplomatic joke. He made the compromises look like armor. Good show, old man, jolly good.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
3rdguy, those are salty quotes. I suppose there are some worse ones that the palace bureaucracy has worked to bury. I think this was Philip's way of asserting his independence and not being taken for a chump. You had to sort of watch your step with him, and that was his point. I think he was a strongly competitive guy, and it showed. He knew he wasn't the monarch and so avoided the spotlight accordingly, but when he would rarely sit down for an interview, he was deeply informed and well-spoken, kind of an idea man.

Reactions: OzPiper and jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.