PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Not the most incisive interviewer on the air, but one of the most colorful personalities with his many wives and unending list of celebrity guests. They rebuilt his heart and he kept on going, online after CNN cancelled his show. He had, as they say, a good run.

Reactions: Papamique

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some broadcast journalists are diligent about doing homework before their interviews, reading the subject's books (if any) and otherwise prepping and researching the bio and background. King blew all that off, saying proudly that he relied on his innate curiosity, approaching the subject as if he were just another listener. This gave him time and energy to be a gadabout and bring in many celebrities, but it also gave his interviews a certain uninformed shallowness. But he had a longer, wider career than some who worked harder at the research, I suppose. I think his common man persona went a long way for his popularity. People supposed he'd be accessible to them, and he was. None of this high flown schtick for Larry.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When Stephen King goes ... he could be back! Among horror writers, he is a master in the vein of Poe and immensely prolific.

Reactions: spicy_boiii

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I enjoyed Larry King on the radio and later on CNN. I really enjoyed his style and was sad when his time on CNN ended. RIP

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
Too bad he lost his luster in later years and became vehement against smoking following his cancer scares. Frankly, never thought he was all that great to begin with and that 'mouth to mouth' with Brando was kind of disturbing. Not a typical Brooklyn boy - kind of miserable and pathetically strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.