PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuri66

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2010
Man I am getting old, all the good ones are fading away..
null
Jon Lord, 71, a British keyboardist for Deep Purple and Whitesnake, died in London on Monday of a pulmonary embolism after a battle with pancreatic cancer, said a statement on his official website.
Lord co-wrote some of Deep Purple's most famous tunes, including "Smoke on the Water," and later had a successful solo career after his retirement from the band in 2002.

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Next bowl going out to a great artist who left too early.

I'll throw on some deep purple for the occasion also.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I don't know about being underappreciated...were one of the most influential bands to come out of the 70s. Sad to see John Lord go. Been listening to Deep Purple for a a couple days now.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
My exposure to Deep Purple was "Burn" in my buddies basement, shooting pool and smoking, well, er not tobacco products...Still a fan. It is sad when your contemporaries depart. Favorite song - My Woman from Tokyo, excellent vocals and I love the honky-tonk piano from Lord. Never saw them in concert, but did see Blackmore's Rainbow many times. The song writing in Rainbow just wasn't at the same level of Deep Purple. It's too bad Blackmore has become so strange about his Deep Purple days.

yuri66

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2010
Al, Blackmoore is still around and has a good thing going under Blackmoore's night, his wife sings lead, they make great music
null
Diamonds and Rust, Awesome
null

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm just not a big fan of that style of music; but his wife sure is gorgeous! He will only be interviewed if the interviewer agrees not to bring up Deep Purple. His call of course; but I find that a little sad. I listen to Eddie Trunks show a lot and he's tried to get Blackmore on, to no avail.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
RIP John. In recent years, Deep Purple has had Steve Morse of Dixie Dregs fame playing with them...one of the greatest guitarists of all time, IMO. He also played for a while back in the 80's with Kansas...one of my favs.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Well, I just plunged in the iPod on the 3 hour drive home and enjoyed over 1.5 hour of Deep Purple in his honor. Hush and Fireball made me break the speed limit ;-)
And then as I was listening to "Child in Time", which will always remain a masterpiece, I couldn't help but think of Aurora, CO and the dreadful events there in the last 24 hours.... looks like their music stays contemporary no matter what.
Good stuff....

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Highway Star makes me Drive retarded fast. Reminds me of my buddy's Camaro and fun times.

Status
Not open for further replies.