PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Just learned Jim Lilley passed away this morning. Jim was a Peterson buff of the first order and a founder of the International Peterson Pipe Club. His blog http://thepetersoncollector.blogspot.com is a great resource to anyone with an interest in these pipes.
This was reported today on Smokers Forum.

"A message from Jim's son on Facebook:
"It is with a heavy heart and great regret I have to let you all know Jim passed away this morning.

We suspect a heart attack and we could not resuscitate him.

We take solace in the fact he spent the last of his days surrounded by myself, Fiona and all the dogs. He was starting to get much better so this has left us all numb at this time."
"Jim was a member of SF as Greysmoke and was a collector of Peterson pipes, honoured by Peterson and writing the Pipedia article. He suffered from Alzheimers for the last few years and had recently moved from Scotland to live with his son, Chris, and family."
"Rest in Peace my old friend."

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The world needs more people like him, not less.
A sad day, indeed.
RIP Jim

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Such sad news. I very much enjoyed reading his blog and anything he posted online. A very thoughtful man.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Wow, a sad day for all pipe men, particularly fans of Peterson pipes. His writings about the brand will live on forever. A raised pipe for Jim.

Jan 8, 2013
I saw this on Facebook this morning. I have not yet, but will, raise a pipe in his honor. I have a spectacular grained Peterson Silver Spigot B42 that I believe will serve best. I believe when we have a "Broken Pipe," we should honor them with our best briars. And in this case it must be our best Petersons, if Petersons we have.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
His work has been a help to many of us. He will be greatly missed.
Yes, Very Sad, I always enjoyed Jim's online posts but I hope he gets his thoughts on Peterson published in print. Guys with his passion for this hobby and a brand aren't coming along behind him I fear. I guarantee he knew more about Peterson than anyone walking this earth today. RIP Jim.

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Ran into the blog linked above a year ago when I bought my first Pete. I dont know if he wrote this, but it was attached to his credentials;

"The difference between a Pipe connoisseur and a Pipe historian: The pipe connoisseur might be defined as a laconic pipe historian, and the pipe historian as a loquacious connoisseur."

RIP!

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
The man is gone but his legacy lives on. He has been, and will continue to be long into the future, very helpful to us through his work.
RIP

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Requiescat in pace... would have liked to have known him. LOVED josephcross's citation about the pipe connoisseur vs historian reference!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I enjoyed Mr Lilley's writings on Peterson. His enthusiasm was infectious. There are so few who have a real deeply passionate interest in and knowledge of the history of pipes that the loss of even one is deeply felt. RIP

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
A gloomy day here has been made gloomier by this sad news. I remember reading Mr. Lilley's Long Goodbye letter on his blog. With that goodbye now over I hope he will rest peacefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.