PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I just heard that Dick Dale passed away at 81.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/dick-dale-surf-guitar-king-dead-obituary-809294/
I love surf guitar but only was able to see him one time. We saw him a few years ago, at the Birchmere in VA. He hung around after that show, signed autographs and chatted with fans. I was the 3rd person in line. I asked him sign my Checkered Flag CD (his first in the "hot rod sound" arena). He said I need to buy his new album. I told I had it, and that we listened to it floating in the pool that afternoon. I said my wife gave me a hard time because an instrumental version of "Silent Night" is the last song (which was pretty strange to hear in July). He laughed and said I was telling the truth. RIP Dick!
54522051_2722851007730877_7008247266737651712_n.jpg

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Another of the greats passes. I saw him in '94 or '95 when he was touring to support Tribal Thunder. Saw him in a small club here in Denver and he also stuck around after the show to sign autographs and chat with the fans. Many brought their old LP's, which he gladly signed.

Jan 8, 2013
What a shame! I loved his music. Here he is still rocking in '09. Pay attention to his guitar. Most leftys will restring the guitar upside down to play left so the low E is up top, with high E at the bottom, so they play chord shapes just like a right hander. His guitars are basically just flipped around (Low E ends up on the bottom)He's gotta do everything backwards. Fantastic!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjXXKxbUG8s

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Anyone who'll spend the afternoon in the pool with fans has his head on right. Glad he had 81 years, and know he'll be enjoy in his recordings into the future.

doverpipes

Might Stick Around
Jan 8, 2011
I was fortunate enough to see Dick play at several shows throughout the years. Despite his numerous health issues, he was always gracious and a true professional. He always made time to speak to his fans at his shows ,sign autographs, and take pictures. May he rest in eternal peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.