PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Not into rap, nor contemporary urban adult music or something.
Likewise, but growing up in the 90s, during the brief lull between OJ and the macarena when not much was happening (at least from the perspective of a prepubescent male in the San Fernando Valley), that song was EVERYWHERE. And compared to the modern day eardrum punishment masquerading as music, even the most mainstream garbage from 30 years ago was like Renaissance-level art! Frightening to think about how bad it will be in another 30 years. Almost as frightening as thinking about pipe and tobacco prices. Almost.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Likewise, but growing up in the 90s, during the brief lull between OJ and the macarena when not much was happening (at least from the perspective of a prepubescent male in the San Fernando Valley), that song was EVERYWHERE. And compared to the modern day eardrum punishment masquerading as music, even the most mainstream garbage from 30 years ago was like Renaissance-level art! Frightening to think about how bad it will be in another 30 years. Almost as frightening as thinking about pipe and tobacco prices. Almost.
Yeah, even bad pop music from when I was a kid is far better than what passes for "hits" these days, but I am often told that that opinion is just a sign that I am, in fact, quite old and long past my peak coolness.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Damn never thought I'd hear about Coolio dying on a pipe smokers forum from a bunch of boomers who dont even know who he was :ROFLMAO:

RIP King
Oh I think there’s a bunch who knew who he was, it’s just that what he was wasn’t much of anything if you weren’t a pubescent boy in a 2 or 3 year window.
Regardless, like Rick James said, cocaine is a powerful drug.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Yeah, even bad pop music from when I was a kid is far better than what passes for "hits" these days

You are not alone in thinking so.

Though hardcore jazzers disagree, I've always thought that in order to be considered music sound must have melody.

From jet engines to cats walking across piano keyboards to kids screaming on a playground, sound without melody is not music. It's just noise.

Sez my brain, anyway.

Regarding Mr. Ivey, I've never heard anything compelling, attractive, or otherwise interesting in so-called rap music as a categorical thing. Just massively over-boosted bass with mostly unintelligible mumbletalking blaring over it. And what little I have managed to make out usually involved drugs, violence, and otherwise nasty subject matter. The videos were the worst. Absurd, in fact. Over-the-top criminal glorification garbage.

Reactions: woodsroad

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Melody, harmony, rhythm and sometimes lyrics are the constituent ingredients of music. These may be very abstractified but still need to be present lest the definition of music become so broad as to become “sounds listened to for enjoyment”.

Lacking one or more of melody, harmony and rhythm the piece in question is then better defined as something other than music, certainly in the tradition of Western and many other cultures.

Even free jazz has the three main elements, as random as it can sound.

Good or bad is subjective and is up to the listener to judge for themself.