PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
“Despite his involvement in computing, Sinclair did not use the Internet, stating that he does not like to have "technical or mechanical things around me" as it distracts from the process of invention.”
Those who brought us to where we are, passing quickly.

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
“Despite his involvement in computing, Sinclair did not use the Internet, stating that he does not like to have "technical or mechanical things around me" as it distracts from the process of invention.”
Those who brought us to where we are, passing quickly.
It’s sad, a lot of the great minds and pioneers of the last 50 years are fading out. Hopefully they will be replaced by even more gifted ones……..I’m feeling kinda doubtful though.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yes, I love the contradiction. One would say he was a master techie, but that wasn't his mode of thought at all, apparently. He had to look past the existing systems to see what he could make them do. I didn't know of him, but I wish him a fulfilling rest.

Reactions: Bengel

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
The epitome of the distinctly British phenomenon, "The man in his shed." RIP!

It'll be interesting to see what else comes out those sheds in the future.
You're spot on, I kept on thinking about EMS's VCS3 last night, a great, quirky synth of near endless possibilities, also came out of a British shed. The Moog minimoog was comparativelly a somewhat more limited machine, but far more user friendly and consistent, so it ultimately America won on the market.

Pity is with a lot of British tech innovations of the 50s-70s, they were conceptually far more advanced than Japanese, US, German competitors but were very often plagued by poor user experience, and downstream issues or reliability, supply, often cost.

I've a very soft spot for Blighty, having been my home for 12 years, and being enployed by Brits for another 8, it's always going to be near and dear to my heart. Both the place, culture and people.