PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Does anyone know the story of Christopher Tolkien? I thought he was a purist and didn’t want the movies to be made, but I haven’t really looked into it.

I wonder what he didn’t like about the movies. I mean, they’re not the books, but they’re as good as you’re going to get out of the movie industry. It could have been worse, just look at what they did to The Hobbit.

Reactions: diamondback

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
Very tragic indeed. However I gotta day, 95 is a ripe age to kick the bucket. Hope I make it that long. RIP Mr. Tolkien

Reactions: Casual

vates

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2019
He did a lot. "My chief critic and collaborator" as JRRT once said. May he now rest in peace.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Made it to a good age so I can't be sad about it and certainly don't see it as a tragic loss. My Granddad also died at 95 and although I miss and love him I wasn't sad in the same way as when I've lost friends in their 20s and 30s. Those early deaths were tragic. At 95 it is more about celebrating the long life.

If it is true that Christopher Tolkien didn't like the Lord of the Rings movies, I would be in agreement. I really don't like those movies. I watched them but it was painful. If I had to see another second of Elijah Woods, I'm sure I'd have lost my sanity.
I did like the very entertaining books in my adolescence.

Reactions: BROBS and Casual
Status
Not open for further replies.