PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
I did it, finished the wax models of Shannen's engagement and wedding rings! As you'd expect from Harvey, here are a bunch of words too many photos.
I wanted to base the engagement ring on a ring I'd made for Shannen the summer after we'd started dating. That ring, below, was hammered out of 1/8" steel rod and soldered together. I was proud at the time, though as my steelworking skills have progressed I've grown to dislike it quite a bit: I didn't exactly do a professional job. She still loves the ring, but I can't wait to replace it!
47085b2e.jpg

Alright, here are some shots of the wax models:
DSC_0500_zpseujgnmw1.jpg

Heart being carved out of a wax block.
DSC_0506_zpsuduianxg.jpg

Engagement and wedding bands that I turned on a wax lathe. The slimmer band will be the engagement ring.
DSC_0514_zpselxcwtyj.jpg

Heart after being cut off of block, sanding on back begun.
DSC_0517_zps0lvojepe.jpg

Testing shape and size of heart on engagement ring.
DSC_0527_zpsq6sl3f19.jpg

Finished wax models.
Just need to get the rings cast and pop that question!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Shaping up nicely. I'd like to see a photo of the finished product.

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
Here's a comparison shot of the rings. Quite a bit of difference between new and old!
DSC_0552_zpsoiyjkp2j.jpg

gmjabsky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2015
Nice! Marriage is an investment of hard work and love, so you're setting a good foundation. May you both gain great happiness in long lives together.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Making your own engagement ring and wedding band....that sir is most excellent!! Truly from the heart. :puffy:

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
Really nice work! I've always been impressed with jewlery making / metal working. Especially things made from scratch that will be one of a kind. That must be a special ring for a special lady. Great stuff! Congrats!

Cool, are you casting it in 14k yellow? Do you have the equipment to cast, or are you sending it off? I just set-up a vacuum unit in the new studio to do in-house work. I have always hand-built, so working in wax is totally new for me. I guess that after almost 45 years of doing this, it's time to teach this dog a new trick.
Congratulations, and nice work.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
I think you making the rings yourself is simply splendidly fantastic!! And I just love stories of happy young love! Call me a sap, but it makes me feel like spring all over! Coming up on 40 years happily married here. On our 25th, I had her (nearly microscopic) diamond engagement ring re-set in a larger, better ring with several more magnificent stones and she loved it as she did the original so long ago... BUT to have made them myself... THAT is so truly fantastic!! Best of luck and blessings upon you!

Status
Not open for further replies.