PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
Smokingpipes had a sale on estate pipes, so I bought this unsmoked Rinaldo Lithos Pot.
Their markings look to be all over the place. I don't know what it all means. Seemed like a decent pipe for the price/condition, so I guess I'll find out when it comes in the mail.

I'm guessing the "titania" means it is supposed to be big, but to me, the measurements don't seem all that big.
Anyone know if this brand is reliable? It was more or less on a whim because I've wanted a pot for some time now and this one didn't seem as ugly as many I've been looking at.
004-006-21653.6152.jpg

004-006-21653_1.2585.jpg

004-006-21653_2.7964.jpg

004-006-21653_3.4024.jpg

Listing

Reactions: rogers

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I have nine Rinaldos, and all are great smokers. I'm sure you'll like yours.

Reactions: rogers

jackets

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2017
I have one Rinaldo and it’s a fantastic smoker. If I remember correctly it’s just two brothers who make all of the pipes, one of which is a jeweler by trade. I’m a big fan of my Castello’s and I would put the quality of Rinaldo’s right up there with them.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I have two Rinaldos, and I think they're a great brand -- right up there with Ardor.

IMO, a step or two above my Radices (which are themselves pretty good).
I think you'll find your Rinaldo to be a good handful of wood, with a good bowl capacity.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Cortez is right when he said Rinaldos are right up there with Ardors. I own ten Ardors, and Rinaldos do not take a back seat to them.

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
I'm glad others have had good experiences with this brand, it is reassuring. Thanks for speaking up about it.
The 15% deal on this pipe was not bad. Further, it seems like it was a bit marked down by being an estate, albeit an unsmoked one.
I'm curious to see how big this will be. I pulled out a tape measure, but as you know, once in the hand... completely different feel!
Hope it is as good as your experiences. I'm more excited now.
Jiminks- Sounds like you've casually listed the tip of an ice-burg on a pipe collection by the sound of it. Wow. If this one smokes well, I will be considering adding maybe one more, but pretty sure I won't get to those numbers. Must be tough to decide which to take when you load up a pipe.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Unadoptedlamp: deciding on my next smoke and pipe can be time consuming. I can't tell you the number of times I've stood there looking at tobaccos trying to figure out what to smoke. That's harder than picking a pipe because many of my pipes are dedicated to either specific blends or genres.
I look forward to hearing your comments on the pipe when you start smoking it.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I don't understand how the grading on those work. That has always given me pause when encountering these in the estate market.
The one pictured is a very nice pipe!
Congratulations on a great Christmas score!

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I have three and they are fantastic smokers. My bent bulldog Lithos would probably be the last pipe I parted with. It is every bit as good as any of my Ferndown, Ashton, Castello or Upshalls. Happy smoking.

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
Well, that certainly is a lot of praise for the Rinaldo line. It was a tossup for me between this and something from a brand called "Buckeye". The Buckeye pipe was intriguing, and I take it they are supervised by a good carver, but the Rinaldo won out.
It's going to be waiting for me when I return to Canada in a couple weeks. A nice welcome home to the winter and cold, I'm hoping.
wyfbane- I too can't make sense of the markings. This is a "YYY" but I think there might be a stamp a grade higher. It's hard to tell. I was passing through the part of Italy where these were made in the summer. Had I known, I would have tracked them down to get one in person. Not sure if you get a deal or not if you knock on the door, but maybe they'd be able to say what all the lettering means.
Jiminks- Well, that's a nice problem to have. My pipes are loosely dedicated to genres, but sometimes I get a nice surprise from a ghost.
I try not to look at pipes very often. My problem is that I keep buying the damn things.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
...to me, the measurements don't seem all that big.
Oh, I think that pipe will fill your hand pretty well! The pix are deceptive: the chamber diameter is "ample", but the outside diameter of the bowl is nearly 2 inches!
I can hardly wait for your follow-up impressions upon receipt.

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
Cortez- I have a tough time buying pipes online. Sometimes they are way out of proportion to what I expect, even when I use a ruler to get an idea.
I guess this one might be similar... Come to think of it, a diameter of nearly 2 inches is pretty big. I doubt it can be too big, because that just means more tobacco right?
By the description from others like you who have had these and liked them, I figure I won't mind sitting down for an hour or so with this one. I hope so.

Status
Not open for further replies.