PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mathoozula

Might Stick Around
Nov 25, 2013
What exactly causes rim darkening? Is it the smoke or the lighting of the bowl?
I've had some gunk collect on the top of my bowl; does this lead to rim darkening?
The pipe is a cheaper one and I've already clenched the stem so I say let the gunk collect. I'd rather have gunk on my bowl then slow down my cadence; I just enjoy the full bodied smoke more.

But just for advice before I buy an Ashton, anyone have any helpful comments?

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
Generally speaking, if you'll load your pipe to 1/4-1/8" inch from the rim, and hold your flame an inch or so above the rim and SUCK THE FLAME down into the bowl, you will eliminate that problem. Wind and other factors can change this theory, of course.

natibo

Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
Usually poor lighting. However, it won't affect the smoking characteristics. I have some charred bowels. I just live with it. If my heirs sell the pipe for less because of it, what do I care. I'll be dead.

novicemaker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 12, 2014
lol, to much spicy food will do that. Something smell funny to you after you charred your bowels...

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I always thought the was East London slang for a curry. Then I realized that is known in the trade as a 'ring burner' so there goes another humorous post by Simon. On a serious note I don't suffer too much from the above and certainly not creep. Meerschaum pipes seem to be very forgiving and since the walls of the 'cutty' style are so thin the worst I see is a little charing around the rim, so to speak. I suppose it's my own fault for lighting them without underwear on!

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Over time there is always some amount of "char" or smoke discoloration with pipes. I can see it on mine even after cleaning it off. Just a smoldering pipe will do it eventually.

I tend to say it gives the pipe character.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
You can reduce the accumulation to a minimum after each pipeful by folding a pipe cleaner in two, wet it with your saliva and gently rub it all around on top on the bowl.
This helps alot, you can also just use your finger and save alot of pipe cleaners.

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
After every pipe I smoke, while the pipe is still warm, I rub a bit of saliva around the rim, then swirl it off with a paper towel. All of my pipes have a sparkling rim. Takes about 10 seconds.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
It is removeable (use the tricks stated above). It is just discoloration of the wax on the rim. If you are poor at lighting and you burn through to the wood, then that is a different story.

necron99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2014
You are smoking a pipe not restoring the Sistine chapel. Its not a science or an art with time it can appear to be, but really its just away of relaxing. Man you guys sure work hard and fret much about relaxing. Ironic .

brudnod

Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
As a doctor I write the word "bowel" more than I write the word "bowl" so I have to take care to proof read not just spells check. As far as the darkening goes, I am a nut about keeping the rims free of char and soot. This is partly lighting technique and partly fastidious, anal compulsive bowel cleaning. (See I knew I could get another bowel joke in there...)

Status
Not open for further replies.