PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
That's a bit too blasé for my taste; I rate aesthetics much more highly. It's been a very long time since I was a eighteen, but I'm pretty damn sure that when I saw The Deep I did not view Jacqueline Bisset as "a matter of randomly ordered atomics".

Had I seen a chip somewhere in Ms. Bisset I would not have considered it a tactful nod to wabi-sabi, but a severe disappointment.

What a delightful memory-bank hit! What a gorgeous hunk of atoms.

However, I'd rather be in the company of a 95 year old pipe than a 95 year old woman. That's not to indicate Jacqueline is there yet. She's only mid seventies!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Yes trying to fix that little blemish would take more away from the pipe then that little mark. To "fix" it would take more of the charm out of the pipe and also more of the aesthetics too. More importantly it's not a critical damage. The pipes life span hasn't been shortened at all. Think about it this way if it was serious and could cause the pipe to fail then rustication and sandblasting would basically make a briar into a clay as far as longevity goes. And from what I was told the original point of rustication was to hide the inevitable small pieces of damage the pipe would get over normal usage.

Reactions: OzPiper