PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chalbach72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
United States
halbachphoto.com
So when I first began, I used to see pipes with BLACK rims, thinking surely this is how this is supposed to look. In fact, I at first AIMED TO GET SOME CHAR ON THE RIM. I didn't know that was so harmful, and I remember when I got my first decent pipe (A Peterson Killarney Fishtail) I thought to myself, "Rim looks too clean..."
I now know that was the dumbest thing I could have ever thought of, along with my original thinking that all pipe tobacco was low in nicotine (Don't know where that came from, but one bout with Fire Cured Kentucky in Peterson Irish Whiskey cleared that thinking).
To say that, I have finally reached a point where rim char is an uncommon thing for me, and if I see it beginning, I quickly get it off. I've learned to treat my pipes with a higher reverence than just lighting and puffing away and then storing haphazardly in an empty cigar box.
It's very interesting to think of how far I've come in treating my pipes better and better in the short time of a year, and I've thoroughly enjoyed this year of growing in the hobby!
Anybody have similar stories?

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Oh, absolutely! I lit my first pipe around 1991. I was a cigarette addict who saw pipe smoking as a flavorful diversion, not a full time thing. I treated my pipes pretty horribly, out of ignorance. By some miracle, two of them are still with me, a large-bowled Dr. Grabow Savoy and a MM Legend with a Dr. Grabow sticker on the bottom. The cob is in pieces, but I keep it for sentimental reasons. When I really got into pipe smoking, and did a deep-clean on the Savoy, I was disgusted with myself. I'll never let that old girl get that dirty again.

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
I had very similar ideas at first, for sure. I thought all pipes got charred up, simple as that. I had no idea about cleaning them either. Now I clean them regularly, make sure they rest, and take care to avoid charring them. Another big one for me now is guarding vulcanite stems against oxidization.
I also figured all pipe tobacco had very little nicotine. I have no idea why I thought that.
It's been pretty rewarding learning (and learning and learning) about taking care of my pipes.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I have always ended up charring my rims a little or a lot, not on purpose but I would not remove it because I kind of like it. If I was purchasing a commissioned pipe for $200 or more then i might be inclined to keep it virgin wood on the rim, but that purchase has not happened yet.
Isaac

chalbach72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
United States
halbachphoto.com
Glad to see I wasn't the only one at first!
morton, I've gotten to where I protect my pipes more. With my last 3 pipe purchases all being $145+ I decided it was due time to take extra care of the pipes, so I clean every time I smoke, watch for char, etc...
I do understand where you come from. Usually for me the char will occur occasionally, but I just wipe it off later because I've gotten to where I don't like it. But I used to love it haha! :D

mrkeys

Lurker
Aug 16, 2015
Luckily I haven't made the same mistake with ring charing, but stickframer mentioned oxidization on stems? I had no idea that was a thing. I assumed it was all down to physical wear from teeth. I guess I still have a lot to learn...

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
We all- well, many- have a bunch to learn.
But, to me charring is damage to the wood. A lot of smudging or tar build up, or mild scorching can be removed to reveal the rim's original grain and color.
Is the above a distinction that's made around these parts?

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
One of my first pipes was a high-end pipe that I got on a good ebay deal. A 70s Ser Jacopo full bend Coral Dot S series. It goes with me almost everywhere, and sits in my corduroy blazer pocket with my keys.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Jpmcwjr, the 'charring' that my pipes put up with is just a blackened layer of tar build up, and a bit of mild scorching that could be fine sanded back to clean wood in a matter of seconds if I ever felt like it. I guess I am assuming thats what we are talking about here, not just wanton pyrotechnic displays burning regular billiards down to crazy freehand danish looking rims...
Isaac

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Hah, well put! When I am feeling industrious, I put a drop of saliva on my thumb and rub. A lot comes off that way. Or I might use a bit of alcohol and a cloth. So far, no sanding!

Status
Not open for further replies.