PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

leparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2014
Weyers Cave, VA
Watching an old episode of the Rifleman where Lucas McCain used a pipe to tighten a tourniquet on an outlaw's leg that was shot. Don't see that kind of thing much anymore , especially on TV.

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
What a great show! I was visiting my aunt in CA back in the 80's, and we went to her Palm Desert condo for a week. I have always been a morning person so I was up early. I went out to get the paper on a shared front entryway, and while I was picking up the paper, the neighbor also came out...you guessed it, Chuck Connors! He saw the starstuck look on my face, said good morning, and quickly went back inside! Man he was tall...

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
I find myself of late enjoying watching old movies from the '30s, '40s, and '50s as well as old TV shows from the '50s and '60s just to see actors "enjoying" smoking pipes. I guess it's just a longing for the "good ol' days" of tobacco pipe smoking, before anti-tobacco activists and politicians decided to make folks using tobacco products persona non grata.

ithelouniverse

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
There was a cool episode of Deep Soace 9 where Miles O'Brien puffs a pipe throughout. But on this most recent season of hell on wheels, Cullen Bohannon puffs a meer whilst dispensing justice from the barrel of his griswald 6 shooter

colorduke

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 5, 2011
Speaking of pipesmoking in the movies,I watched part of a good movie on TCM called Drums along the Mohawk lots of pipesmoking in that old classic from 1939,I gotta get the dvd to watch the whole thing.

number6

Might Stick Around
Apr 28, 2011
Many people forget that besides being an actor, Chuck Connors was a professional baseball and basketball player with the Celtics and the Cubs.
He is also credited as being the first professional basketball player to break a backboard.

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
120sbk1.jpg

Dec 24, 2012
I used to watch re-runs of the Rifleman with my Dad when I was a kid. I even had some of the comic book adaptations of the series. Unfortunately, this particularly issue is a bit . . . er . . . unsettling (no kidding - this is the actual cover).

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Chuck Connors WAS very tall. His kids attended the same elementary school as me, and I would occasionally see him picking them up after school.

Season 1 has been recently reissued on DVD in an authorized version with restoration done to the best available elements. Last year I was briefly involved with restoring a number of the very few color stills that remain from the original production. Most were tossed out.

cardician

Lurker
Oct 28, 2012
Folks -
You might want to check out his movie 'The Proud and the Damned'.
It seems at first to be a cheap spaghetti western but actually turns into an absorbing love story with lots of blood!!!
You can watch it for free on IMBD.
Connors was great!
cardician

swampmouth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
Michael Landon lights up on Little House. I wonder if a pipe was ever used to clear choking.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
There's a fair bit of daft pipe smoking in the original Gumball Rally (1976). BTW the Dunhill Standard tin I've just opened and started to smoke tastes like I'm sucking on our garden fence there's that much creosote. My wife said I looked like a bulldog sucking a wasp through a straw. Very unfair, I thought. And hurtful. Back to the MM 965 for this piper.
Andy

oldsoldier

Lurker
Feb 15, 2014
I loved General Longstreet, I think it was, smoking a pure white {brand new by the looks of it} Meer in the film Gettysburg.

riskybusiness

Lurker
Feb 13, 2014
London, UK
If this is turning into a Pipe Smoking In Movies thread, I would like to add this one from my favorite film Blade Runner. There is some pipe smoking going on at Taffy Lewis' bar:

Status
Not open for further replies.