PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
I was saddened to learn, via the PipesMagazine Radio Show, of the passing of Richard Dunhill, "Mr. Richard" as he was affectionately known. He was the grandson of the late Alfred Dunhill, founder of the Dunhill empire. His father was Vernon Dunhill (one of Alfred's three sons).
Mr. Richard assumed control of Alfred Dunhill Ltd. in 1975 upon the retirement of Mary Dunhill (Alfred's highly capable daughter), and it was his bearded and immaculately groomed image which became the modern face of the company:

th

A quick search of the Internet turned up only the following brief obituary which appeared in The Daily Telegraph and The Times newspapers: "DUNHILL Richard on 26th August 2016, aged 89, passed away peacefully at home surrounded by his family. Loving husband to Pat, father to Susan, Christopher, Mark and Jonathan, grandfather to 13 grandchildren and 9 great-grandchildren. Family flowers only, please. Donations to Alzheimers Society. Enquiries to HR Palmer Funeral Service. Tel: 01843592720."
Rest in peace, Sir!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's how the head of Dunhill should look. He had a good long run, smoking a pipe now and then along the way we presume.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Lived to 89, and what got him in the end had nothing to do with smoking.
Take THAT, English government! :twisted:
RIP Richard

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
As a side-note, Mary Dunhill passed at the age of 81 on Wednesday February 24, 1988. She was the youngest of Alfred Dunhill's four children and the last, having been preceded in death by her brothers Alfred Henry, Vernon, and Jack (listed oldest-to-youngest).
Her obituary in The New York Times stated in part, "Ms. Dunhill joined the board of Dunhill Holdings in 1944, explaining "they were rather short of men," and in 1961 became chairman, succeeding her eldest brother, Alfred (Henry)."

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
If the news of Mr. Richard's passing was mentioned in the U.S. media, then I missed it entirely. Sadly, however, given the fourth estate's preponderant anti-smoking bias, it would not surprise me if it was deliberately omitted.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Let's hope this testament to longevity brings hope to the pro-tobacco movement. May Mr. Richard rest in peace and the legacy of the family name live well on into the future generations.
May we raise our pipes to the hallmark of fine tobaccos, Dunhill, and the passing of Mr. Richard.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Another passing of the torch.
On selecting the most expensive "H" grade pipe:
Will the buyer smoke it? "Oh, perhaps occasionally," Mr. Richard says, "in good company where it will be appreciated." And then adds with a twinkle in his eye, "But it would be a pity, wouldn’t it?"
Thank you for a killer read, Hunter.
Fnord

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
Author Richard Carleton Hacker ("The Pipe Book," "Rare Smoke - The Ultimate Guide to Pipe Collecting," Pipesmoking - A 21st Century Guide," and "The Christmas Pipe - A Collectors Celebration of Pipe Smoking at Yuletide") had this to say, in part, in a recent e-mail message regarding Mr. Richard's passing:
"Yes, Richard was a good friend of mine and will be missed.
"We shared many interests together, including collecting toy trains and other mechanical antiques and smokiana, as well as his family’s namesake pipes and accessories.
"He was also a great help to me and opened many doors during my initial research in the 1980s when I was writing the first edition of The Ultimate Pipe Book..."

Status
Not open for further replies.