Ribeye Steak and Roasted Tomatoes on the Primo!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
The eye of the rib steak is probably, in my opinion, one of the finest grilling steaks available. Enjoy! I will admit to finding a rib steak, bone-in, to be a bit more flavorful. Ribeye, bone (flavor) removed, rib steak used to be universal in meaning. Butchers, I don't know the reason, in different locations have so mixed the names that they are meaningless to most of today's butchers, retailers and consumers. To me though, they distinguish two different cuts. Sadly, perhaps, I've become too old and too critical. But, I do remember a time when "words" had meaning.

The worst change was when "Prime rib" cam to mean any standing rib roast. Used to be a "prime rib" had to be graded prime. Now days one needs to tell the butcher that a standing rib roast graded prime is desired or, one pays a premium for a stander or, perhaps better, will be served up. Buyer beware! Again, perhaps I'm to set in my ways.

Nice job @monty55 ! If anyone finds themselves in Geyserville, CA. Stop into Diavola Pizza after a day of wine tasting and order the tomahawk ribeye... YES a ribeye in a pizza joint. It is FANTASTIC!!!

Reactions: monty55 and jpmcwjr

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
Looks delish! do you like your primo? A friend of mine has an (X)XL which he cookes several days a week on. Me with kids can't do that, but when they get bigger and aren't hungry straight when I get home and have to eat NOW! I will get a nice kamado or pellet smoker.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
What temp your grill, guys?
I don't think mine gets hot enough.
Depends on the meat, but I generally reverse sear when it's a cut like ribeye, chicken thighs or pork chops. For beef I prefer lower Temps and pork/chicken higher. I smoke indirect till the meat reaches a probe internal temperature. For the reverse sear I leave the lid off so the charcoal gets red hot anyway.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and monty55

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Looks delish! do you like your primo?
I will get a nice kamado or pellet smoker.
I love the Primo! Mine is a Junior.
I would highly recommend a kamado or Primo over a pellet smoker for a plethora of reasons...

What temp your grill, guys?
I don't think mine gets hot enough.

I get mine to about 400-500 for searing direct, 300 indirect.
What kind of grill are you using?

To get charcoal or wood coals hot you need to introduce more oxygen, and open your vents, or crack the lid to allow the fire to breath (pass through) as much as possible. Except with a ceramic, you have to use the vents and they work well to get the temp up to 600-700 degrees. You can't leave the lid open or cracked or your felt seal will burn. They're meant to be used with the lid always closed.
Gas grill, I can't help you.

Depends on the meat, but I generally reverse sear when it's a cut like ribeye, chicken thighs or pork chops. For beef I prefer lower Temps and pork/chicken higher. I smoke indirect till the meat reaches a probe internal temperature. For the reverse sear I leave the lid off so the charcoal gets red hot anyway.

I agree. I do both, but it generally depends on the cut and type of protein and what I feel like at the time. I generally use reverse sear for really thick stuff.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I enjoy the reverse sear method (bake, smoke, or grill to temp) then finish with a hot pan sear.

My little smoker and grill combo assists with the grill getting hotter than 500 degrees, but not hot enough for the perfect sear.

I will say the internal electric thermometer and heat unit allow me to smoke low and slow without needing a constant eye. Great invention. Not perfect, but very handy.

Try grilling fruits that are sprinkled in white or Brown sugar (to help.with carmelization). Decent dessert on the grill while cooking the meats and vegetables. Serve with devil's food cake or vanilla ice cream and be prepared to nap.