Status
Not open for further replies.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Imho, Dark Flake "unscented" is closer.
I'd rate them from least to most topping:
Lakeland Dark, Dark Flake U/S, 1792, Dark Flake Scented.
I picked up some GH "Kendal Dark" from a b&m not long ago and put it directly into a jar. It appears to be in the same family, but I'm not sure of the topping level on that one.
Thank you, that's great to hear. Final question if you tried both 1792 and Dark Flake Scented. Two questions in fact: is "Dark Flake Aromatic" any different from "scented"? And how would you compare 1792 and Dark Flake Scented in terms of tonquin? I read liquorice as the first topping in Dark Flake Scented and wonder if I'll like it, I love 1792.

Reactions: rushx9

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Gawith does not now, nor has it ever, made Revor. Gawith Is the distributor. It is made by STG. When the Synjeco statement first surfaced a few months back, Gawith had, that very week, received a large shipment. At that time Chris Gawith had no knowledge that it was discontinued.
The packaging does have Gawith TT (for Tobacco Trading) on it, but also has the same date coding STG uses. STG could very well have decided to discontinue it since I last discussed the question with Chris. Or it could have been discontinued then and whoever runs the distribution side of Gawith just not gotten the word to Chris.

But if it has been discontinued, don’t throw stones at Gawith. The whole situation with Revor is complicated, since STG made it under license from Japan Tobacco, who bought out the old U.K. manufacturer (Mansfield?) long ago. It was a decent enough seller, so if some change has happened I think it is likely at the STG/Japan Tobacco level.
Yes for Gods sake. One look at the tobacco will tell you it’s not a GH press.

Oct 7, 2016
Is Dark Flake Aromatic" any different from "scented"?
No. The box might also say “Dark Flake A”. Same for the Brown Flakes. Brown Flake Scented = Brown Flake Aromatic = Brown Flake A. Tobacco reviews might or might not list them separately, but they are the same.

Packaging and labeling requirements in the U.K., EU and US have been a moving target for a few years now, which leads to confusion.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Thank you, that's great to hear. Final question if you tried both 1792 and Dark Flake Scented. Two questions in fact: is "Dark Flake Aromatic" any different from "scented"? And how would you compare 1792 and Dark Flake Scented in terms of tonquin? I read liquorice as the first topping in Dark Flake Scented and wonder if I'll like it, I love 1792.
First, I agree with anything @oldgeezersmoker says regarding tobacco manufactured in the UK.?
Second, regarding the difference in toppings, the 1792 is smooth tonquin goodness, that mellows with age. I'm smoking through some 6 year old 1792 right now and the topping seems sweeter and softer than fresh. Dark Flake Scented has all the tonquin presence of 1792, plus a healthy dose of rose geranium, licorice, almond, musk, and whatever else they use in this particularly powdery Lakeland sauce. Somewhere between Grasmere and Ennerdale, maybe the same as what's used on Kendal Flake. Kind of a kitchen sink Lakeland.
Of the lot, my preferences are 1792 or DF U/S.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
First, I agree with anything @oldgeezersmoker says regarding tobacco manufactured in the UK.?
Second, regarding the difference in toppings, the 1792 is smooth tonquin goodness, that mellows with age. I'm smoking through some 6 year old 1792 right now and the topping seems sweeter and softer than fresh. Dark Flake Scented has all the tonquin presence of 1792, plus a healthy dose of rose geranium, licorice, almond, musk, and whatever else they use in this particularly powdery Lakeland sauce. Somewhere between Grasmere and Ennerdale, maybe the same as what's used on Kendal Flake. Kind of a kitchen sink Lakeland.
Of the lot, my preferences are 1792 or DF U/S.
Thanks a million! I may regret it but I will still get some Dark Flake Scented soon. Never tried Grasmere.

Reactions: rushx9

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Back when I was working on War Horse Bar, STG sent me several samples of plugs that they made in DK that they did not sell in the US. None had names attached to them, just numbers, but one of them was unmistakably Revor. I still have some of it, somewhere.

select565

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2020
Anyone else pick up Latakia flavors in revor? I know it doesn’t list any in the blend but Last few revor
Smokes had Smokey lat notes.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Some time around 2007 I think one of my favorite blends Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky disappeared off the American market. One day I see it came back around 2015 I think. I bought a test tin, smoked a couple of bowls and then ordered a 100 tins for only 701.00. I learned my lesson that any blend no matter how popular can just be gone one day. It happened to the Three Nuns with Perique a long time ago and never to be seen again. When you find something you love, grab it quick cause you just never know. I did the same thing with Rotary Navy Cut and Brigham Klondike Gold as both went bye bye with no notice and I had loaded up big time on both.

Status
Not open for further replies.