PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
The title said it all and as the source is from the the Synjeco website I think it is trustable.
It was for me the best of the Virginia/Kentucky genre, in some way a cousin of the SG Cob plug/1792 flake but more balanced and sweeter.
Luckily I cellared some last year so I am covered.
Every time I see a great blend discontinued I wonder if it is because of lack of demand or because of production issues/lack of sourcing tobacco needed.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
The title said it all and as the source is from the the Synjeco website I think it is trustable.
It was for me the best of the Virginia/Kentucky genre, in some way a cousin of the SG Cob plug/1792 flake but more balanced and sweeter.
Every time I see a great blend discontinued I wonder if it is because of lack of demand or because of production issues/lack of sourcing tobacco needed.
Won't SG Lakeland Dark/ GH Dark plug fill the gap? I've smoked a fair bit of 1792 and it's in my top 5 beloved tobaccos. I am now smoking Lakeland Dark which is great, sort of a grown up version of MacBaren's Old Dark Fired, and think it could scratch the Virginia/Kentucky itch.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I was worried about this happening because it's made in Europe, I don't know why Gawith don't make it themselves? Maybe they will start doing just that?.
To be on the safe side I've just ordered 10 pouches for the cellar as it's probably my favorite tobacco.

I've never understood why they don't stock it in the US as there seems like plenty of interest on the forum.

If it is being discontinued it's a real shame as the Revor has a long and interesting history, I read an article about it a while back but I just looked on Google and I couldn't find it.

Jun 9, 2018
England
@smudgersmissingleg guess there's a lot of overlap both between GH and SG brands, and within each brand itself, so some thing are bound to be culled sooner or later.

Do you happen to know how similar is GH dark flake aromatic to SG 1792?
I've never had 1792 because the tonquin topping doesn't appeal to me. I have had dark plug aromatic and I didn't really care for the topping on that either. I love Ennerdale but some of the other plugs & flakes like Grasmere aren't my bag.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Gawith could start making it themselves, the texture of the plug would probably be different as Revor is very crumbly whereas all the Gawith plugs I've had have been much firmer. As long as they can get the leaf they can make it, what was that line from The Six Million Dollar Man? "We have the technology,"..... Even if that technology might be a couple of hundred years old?.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I've often wondered what Revor would be like with 10 years age on it.
I had 1 year aged MacB Old Dark Fired and it was amazing.

I've never had 1792 because the tonquin topping doesn't appeal to me. I have had dark plug aromatic and I didn't really care for the topping on that either. I love Ennerdale but some of the other plugs & flakes like Grasmere aren't my bag.
Right, cheers. The tonquin topping is exactly why I love 1792, and feel it is missing from Lakeland Dark (supposedly the same tobacco with 11792 without the tonquin). Lakeland Dark is still very good in its own right.

marconi

May 17, 2019
England
Every time I see a great blend discontinued I wonder if it is because of lack of demand or because of production issues/lack of sourcing tobacco need

Gawith could start making it themselves, the texture of the plug would probably be different as Revor is very crumbly whereas all the Gawith plugs I've had have been much firmer. As long as they can get the leaf they can make it, what was that line from The Six Million Dollar Man? "We have the technology,"..... Even if that technology might be a couple of hundred years old?.
Iam staying calm and rationale on this one.We need more facts does Synjeco de listing it mean its going out of production? Where is the evidence that Revor plug is made by STG? A quick search says its made by Gawith. Just to be on the safe side I better order another ten packets whilst we continue this discussion

Reactions: rushx9
Jun 9, 2018
England
I had 1 year aged MacB Old Dark Fired and it was amazing.

Right, cheers. The tonquin topping is exactly why I love 1792, and feel it is missing from Lakeland Dark (supposedly the same tobacco with 11792 without the tonquin). Lakeland Dark is still very good in its own right.
I haven't tried Lakeland Dark but it definitely sounds like something I'd enjoy.

Reactions: rushx9

marconi

May 17, 2019
England
Whilst ordering Revor plug from GQ, they state clearly that Gawith make Revor and its sold under their name.If this is fact there is no way that GW would stopped production of this historical blend.(famous last words)

Reactions: Razorback

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Do you happen to know how similar is GH dark flake aromatic to SG 1792?
Imho, Dark Flake "unscented" is closer.
I'd rate them from least to most topping:
Lakeland Dark, Dark Flake U/S, 1792, Dark Flake Scented.
I picked up some GH "Kendal Dark" from a b&m not long ago and put it directly into a jar. It appears to be in the same family, but I'm not sure of the topping level on that one.

Oct 7, 2016
Chris Gawith advised several months ago that GH does NOT manufacture Revor Plug, they are only the distributor. The stickers on the pouches have the STG codes on them also.

Paging @oldgeezersmoker on this, as he really knows his stuff and can advise.
Gawith does not now, nor has it ever, made Revor. Gawith Is the distributor. It is made by STG. When the Synjeco statement first surfaced a few months back, Gawith had, that very week, received a large shipment. At that time Chris Gawith had no knowledge that it was discontinued.

The packaging does have Gawith TT (for Tobacco Trading) on it, but also has the same date coding STG uses. STG could very well have decided to discontinue it since I last discussed the question with Chris. Or it could have been discontinued then and whoever runs the distribution side of Gawith just not gotten the word to Chris.

But if it has been discontinued, don’t throw stones at Gawith. The whole situation with Revor is complicated, since STG made it under license from Japan Tobacco, who bought out the old U.K. manufacturer (Mansfield?) long ago. It was a decent enough seller, so if some change has happened I think it is likely at the STG/Japan Tobacco level.

Status
Not open for further replies.