Revisiting Tobaccos that You’ve Hated...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
So I noticed that war horse green has been back on the scene for a few months; well I smoked it years ago and had a love hate with it. I’d puff away enjoying its one dimensional floral anise toilet bowl beauty and eventually got fed up and tossed the balance of the tin. I’ve always slightly regretted that and yet always reassured myself that it always felt “not rotation worthy”
I still remember that flavor and sometimes miss it- wondering if anyone here ever reordered tins that they’ve sworn off- I guess the adage is never say never. But I’m still on the fence about it

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
So I noticed that war horse green has been back on the scene for a few months; well I smoked it years ago and had a love hate with it. I’d puff away enjoying its one dimensional floral anise toilet bowl beauty and eventually got fed up and tossed the balance of the tin. I’ve always slightly regretted that and yet always reassured myself that it always felt “not rotation worthy”
I still remember that flavor and sometimes miss it- wondering if anyone here ever reordered tins that they’ve sworn off- I guess the adage is never say never. But I’m still on the fence about it
The solution is never toss tobacco and you’d still have it to try. ?

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
There are so many damn blends, it's best to be wary IMHO. Very early on, I got myself a very small amount (perhaps six or seven grams) of C&D Autumn Evening. I liked every aro I had tried at that point, but I didn't want to just get a full tin on speculation. So I was inwardly admiring my good choice when I first tried it, because I couldn't stand it. I kept the remaining four or so grams for another time. Nope; still hated it. Didn't taste any worse, but no better either, like I was smoking a foam packing crate topped with that cheap Torani syrup they use to make Italian sodas. The remaining amount was perhaps enough to roll a joint with (good idea for a practical joke on a friend, but I can't roll for s**t), so I chucked it, not wishing to try a third time. But in general, @BROBS is right; it's never a good idea to toss any sizeable quantity of leaf, no matter how repugnant you might find it.

That's just my one example to add to the thread, anyway. Interested to hear some others.

Jeff 11B

Lurker
May 1, 2021
I felt the same about tobacco with chocolate toppings. I found it was better when mixed with a straight unflavored tobacco. I suppose I didn't hate the chocolate so much as the overpowering strength.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
If you can't forget about it, a tin would settle the score cheap.

mparker762

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2021
Houston, TX
Back in the early 90's I bought a few tins of McConnell's Scottish Flake and thought it was the most horrid thing I'd ever tasted, worse than erinmore, which is wierd since I loved scottish cake. I left it for a few months and gave it another chance, same reaction. found the other tin in the closet a decade later while scrounging for something and decided to give it one more try instead of tossing it unopened, and thought it was just as horrid as I remembered. Left it open for a day and tried again the fourth time was the charm. I wound up ordering several pounds of it within a few weeks. every time i crack a tin I'm glad I gave it that last chance.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Back in the early 90's I bought a few tins of McConnell's Scottish Flake and thought it was the most horrid thing I'd ever tasted, worse than erinmore, which is wierd since I loved scottish cake. I left it for a few months and gave it another chance, same reaction. found the other tin in the closet a decade later while scrounging for something and decided to give it one more try instead of tossing it unopened, and thought it was just as horrid as I remembered. Left it open for a day and tried again the fourth time was the charm. I wound up ordering several pounds of it within a few weeks.
I believe this is known as "beating one's taste buds into submission."

PipesRock

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2020
Florida
-Plum Pudding tried it and hated it. Had it again several months later and it was much better but still not a go to blend.
-Quiet Nights tasted of odd chemicals to me, didn't like at all. Same with most Pease English variants... then after sitting in an opened tin (plastic lid on) for weeks if not a couple months I found it wonderful. I now have quite a bit stored up.
-Autumn Evening was terrible and remains terrible.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I really enjoy smoking a pipe, my inclination is to be at least okay with a blend vs hating it. If I try something and I happen to find it so vile that I hate it, no amount of time is going to make it good. If my palate changes so significantly to like it, it's likely I would also suddenly enjoy shit sandwiches; with, or without, bread. I would gargle with sulfuric said to cure myself.

There are so many blends I really, really like, there's no need to back track. Having around 500 lbs of good tobacco I like in my cellar, I can't find any logic of keeping even a few pounds of dog poo around on the outside chance I'd someday like it. By the time I might have a weak moment and try it, even if I like it, tobacco will be extinct by then. I couldn't buy more. Why torture myself?

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
A number of years ago I bought a canister of H&H Chestnut - thought I would enjoy it. Nope, did not work. Jarred the rest - tried some periodically - still no joy. Recently dug out the last jar - hey, this is pretty good! Looking at TR, the oldest reviews are 2015, so that is probably when I got it. I'm enjoying this, but not enough to go buy some more to smoke in five years.

wgstraub

Might Stick Around
Jan 31, 2021
Silver Spring, MD
Years ago, back in the '70s, probably, I tried Bond Street and it was so bad I almost gave up pipe smoking. Thankfully they don't produce it anymore so I don't feel obliged to give it another try. I was originally disappointed in the G,L Pease Westminster, just thought it was kind of meh, but's it's growing on me to the extent I intend to purchase more.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

SoddenJack

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2020
West Texas
Only blend I revisited after disliking it the first time was Haunted Bookshop. Felt the same way the second time around. Sometimes I feel like maybe I should give it another shot, third times a charm and all, but what for? There’s a million other blends out there. I must have at least two dozen tins I’ve never sampled (including standards like Presbyterian and Nightcap). Not sure why I’m trying to convince myself that I’ll like Haunted Bookshop.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
nope but have had tins that sat in a jar for years before I wanted to smoke them again. Just got that itch one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.