PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
A couple of years ago I tried some Sutliff RVR to see if I'd like it for blending purposes, and discussed here: 2018 RVR Thread.

I've used it quite a bit in blending since then, but haven't had any straight in a quite a while until now after opening a jar that's been undisturbed for 2 years. My initial description from the first thread is still generally applicable, but the aged version has actually picked up a little ooomph, and the spiciness I noted before might even be stronger than before.

To reiterate the first sentence of the earlier thread: this isn't 5100. I've recently had a few bowls of 6 year old 5100, and RVR isn't in the same category. The sweet and tangy, almost fruity, qualities of 5100 are not here. But man, I like RVR quite a bit for what it is. Most of all for its quality most different from 5100 - the spiciness. There is a perique-like tingle in the back of throat and retrohale that I'm really enjoying. Nothing at all like the soft sweetness of 5100. This leans almost savory.

I'm considering getting some blending DFK to make a full-bodied blend, maybe with a touch of unflavored black cavendish to smooth it out and add a bit of sweetness.

I'll have to go back to the RC-515 I bought around the same time, which I also have smoked straight since then.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
A couple of years ago I tried some Sutliff RVR to see if I'd like it for blending purposes, and discussed here: 2018 RVR Thread.

I've used it quite a bit in blending since then, but haven't had any straight in a quite a while until now after opening a jar that's been undisturbed for 2 years. My initial description from the first thread is still generally applicable, but the aged version has actually picked up a little ooomph, and the spiciness I noted before might even be stronger than before.

To reiterate the first sentence of the earlier thread: this isn't 5100. I've recently had a few bowls of 6 year old 5100, and RVR isn't in the same category. The sweet and tangy, almost fruity, qualities of 5100 are not here. But man, I like RVR quite a bit for what it is. Most of all for its quality most different from 5100 - the spiciness. There is a perique-like tingle in the back of throat and retrohale that I'm really enjoying. Nothing at all like the soft sweetness of 5100. This leans almost savory.

I'm considering getting some blending DFK to make a full-bodied blend, maybe with a touch of unflavored black cavendish to smooth it out and add a bit of sweetness.

I'll have to go back to the RC-515 I bought around the same time, which I also have smoked straight since then.
Let us know which you like better after revisiting the 515.

Reactions: krizzose

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I bought some Sutliff Red Virginia from my local B&M, but it didn't have a specific number or acronym. It is about two years old now, and I keep putting off opening the jar to encourage it to unfold. At the least, I expect a nice blending leaf, and I will certainly try it as a blend in itself, or a single leaf.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I bought some Sutliff Red Virginia from my local B&M, but it didn't have a specific number or acronym. It is about two years old now, and I keep putting off opening the jar to encourage it to unfold. At the least, I expect a nice blending leaf, and I will certainly try it as a blend in itself, or a single leaf.
I’ve become quite enamored with their 515 RC-1, although it deserves a better name, honestly. An excellent mixer and good straight, as well.

Reactions: kwg116

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I’ve had a couple bowls of the 515 RC1 this weekend, and it is significantly different from RVR. Most noticeable is the pungent vinegar smell that can be tasted in the smoke for a few minutes. It’s way overdone, odd and unpleasant, but it does eventually fade into the background. However, it never goes away entirely, which is a knock against it. For me, the famous McClelland vinegar/ketchup is only noticeable in the tin and not at all in the smoke. 515 is almost like The vinegar is a topping.

515 is sweeter than RVR, but still noticeably less than 5100. 515 has a little of the tangy fruitiness of 5100, but only a little. There are none of the grassy flavors that are in RVR, and it is a much smoother and softer smoke. The spiciness I like so much in RVR is only hinted at in 515. It has much more breadiness, and is a bit malty, both of which I like. Taken all together, I think 515 is richer in flavor than RVR but not as full-bodied. The differences are enough that I think I’ll buy more of both. If I had to pick one, I’d take RVR because it has its own personality and the lack of vinegar.

In any event, I like it as a solid red Virginia and a good mixer. If I could get a bit of 515’s sweet breadiness in RVR without the vinegar coming along, I’d be very happy.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith
Status
Not open for further replies.