PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Perusing a thread earlier today, there was a reference to Whitehall pipes. I've got an old Whitehall quarter bent, sandblasted Dublin- it's the pipe in my mouth in my forum av. It has been out of rotation for some time, now. I decided to revisit it.
I dug it out, and took it with me, loaded up with Amphora Virginia, for my drive out to my cider mill of choice on a gorgeous October day.
Is this a great pipe? Is it the sort that would command Big Bucks if I went to sell it? Would the folks who only smoke expensive pipes do anything more than sneer at it? Nope, nope, and nope.
It was, however, a very pleasant smoke - it smoked that Amphora like a champ. (Snobs would sneer at the Amphora, of course, anyway.) It is definitely going back on the racks, though, and I am going to revisit some of those other pipes I put aside.
Just goes to show ya. puffy

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
There is a certain fondness for pipes that have been in the collection some time, my avatar pipe I lost maybe 2 years ago, and although it did not have the best draw, I still sigh wistfully when I think of it missing from the fold...

Reactions: judcole and JOHN72

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Amphora seems to get a lot of love here.
Yes, it was off my radar for a long time that Amphora is considered a real bang-for-buck VA flake by many who appreciate the truly great VA flakes. I only recently realized this, and it's been on my mind since to try it. I'll probably add some to my next order.

Reactions: anotherbob

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I have a Brigham that’s just butt ugly, but a great smoker. Rustication by butter knife (their fault for doing it, my fault for buying it), oxidized stem (entirely my fault). I’m not sure I’d bust it out in the smoking tent at the Chicago Show, but I would never get rid of it.

Reactions: judcole