PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pipelady20

Can't Leave
Apr 17, 2020
East coast, USA
www.pipesmagazine.com
Finally reviewing this one. Again I'm new and I don't have a sophisticated palette. Yesterday I sat outside with my no-name Rhodesian briar and GL Pease's Quiet Nights. I enjoy going out to think quietly and wrap myself in my warm flannel shirt.

The tin note smells like BBQ, meat, spice, and cinnamon; perhaps similar to Frog Morton Cellar in tin notes, and like a Balkan blend close to the smell of Balkan Sobranie but less pungent in the tin.

Packing was fine. I simply filled it up and patted it down. Took a few lights to get it going but after that, relights were few.

When I got this going, I sat for a few minutes to see how this smoked.

1) First of all I'm *thrilled* that this didn't turn me off right away at the first light. I somehow thought it would but i was wrong. It smelled wonderful, and I don't know which tobaccos gave it that sweet odor but if you know tell me.

2) plenty of smoke from QN for me to inhale. The thought i had was "smooth, peppery, and sweet".

The perique is smooth in this, it makes an interesting smoke. Not overbearing like what I had with "Frog Morton on the Bayou" which felt like my sinuses were being singed when sniffing the tin.

3) Wife note: I don't have a wife, but odor matters, especially left over in a room. Since I smoked this outside I had my cotton flannel to determine what odor was left on it.
After some time passed my flannel smelled "tolerable". And tolerable for me means = faint smell of cigarettes or a smoky odor, not overbearing, which is ok.

What wasn't good about QN: Tongue bite. I may have dried it too long. I think my cadence was pretty good. If it ends up being a pH problem I may have to put this one away, but I really hope not.

I believe I've found a new favorite in QN! Good job GL Pease/CD! Will be getting more of this to smoke and cellar!

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
[QUOTE="Pipelady20, post: 36134830,
It smelled wonderful, and I don't know which tobaccos gave it that sweet odor but if you know tell me.
[/QUOTE]
The combination of latakia and certain orientals can be very incense-like. The addition of perique and VA can lend some fruit and sweetness. So it may not be 1 leaf, but the combination working together to give you that aroma. Greg Pease is a master of coaxing the sweetness out of Latakia blends.

Pipelady20

Can't Leave
Apr 17, 2020
East coast, USA
www.pipesmagazine.com
[QUOTE="Pipelady20, post: 36134830,
It smelled wonderful, and I don't know which tobaccos gave it that sweet odor but if you know tell me.
The combination of latakia and certain orientals can be very incense-like. The addition of perique and VA can lend some fruit and sweetness. So it may not be 1 leaf, but the combination working together to give you that aroma. Greg Pease is a master of coaxing the sweetness out of Latakia blends.
[/QUOTE]
I wasn't aware of this. Thanks

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
it can be mind blowing how tobaccos react with each other when blended. Also good review. It sounds like you did a good job of describing the experience and if this is a blend I should try now or later. That said doubt your cadence is that good if it's biting. It's probably not bad but slow cadence never worked for me, sipping nice and slow like it's my one glass of the worlds best whiskey and I better enjoy it is what works for me.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I wasn't aware of this. Thanks
[/QUOTE]
one of the reasons too to always take the tin description with a grain of salt. There is information in those, but not as much as it might seem at first.

Pipelady20

Can't Leave
Apr 17, 2020
East coast, USA
www.pipesmagazine.com
it can be mind blowing how tobaccos react with each other when blended. Also good review. It sounds like you did a good job of describing the experience and if this is a blend I should try now or later. That said doubt your cadence is that good if it's biting. It's probably not bad but slow cadence never worked for me, sipping nice and slow like it's my one glass of the worlds best whiskey and I better enjoy it is what works for me.
Thank you!

Reactions: anotherbob

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Great review! Thanks for posting it!

I get bite from a lot of G.L. Pease blends for some reason. I think that it might be the Red Virginias and presume that it has to do with the PH and my body chemistry.

Here are a few things that will help tame the bite a little;

Be sure to drink often while smoking to keep your mouth moist/hydrated. Water, tea, coffee etc. Stay away from carbonated drinks at the beginning unless you enjoy your mouth feeling like its being stung by a million bees or being stuck with a million needles all at one.

With blends that tend to bite me I will sometimes drink hot or iced tea with it. The tannins in it help my mouth prevent/recover from the bite.

Depending on the blend and what I am doing at the time, I will also sometimes drink red wine while smoking. The tannins in the wine act the same way.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sounds enjoyable, and that's the idea. Note the profile of tobaccos in that blend, and it will lead you to others you may like.

Reactions: Pipelady20

Pipelady20

Can't Leave
Apr 17, 2020
East coast, USA
www.pipesmagazine.com
Great review! Thanks for posting it!

I get bite from a lot of G.L. Pease blends for some reason. I think that it might be the Red Virginias and presume that it has to do with the PH and my body chemistry.

Here are a few things that will help tame the bite a little;

Be sure to drink often while smoking to keep your mouth moist/hydrated. Water, tea, coffee etc. Stay away from carbonated drinks at the beginning unless you enjoy your mouth feeling like its being stung by a million bees or being stuck with a million needles all at one.

With blends that tend to bite me I will sometimes drink hot or iced tea with it. The tannins in it help my mouth prevent/recover from the bite.

Depending on the blend and what I am doing at the time, I will also sometimes drink red wine while smoking. The tannins in the wine act the same way.

Thank you so much. I had heard about drinking something but usually do it after I smoked, so now i'll incorporate it. Never knew about the wine.

Again thanks!

Reactions: python and rushx9

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019

I find that problem with any refrigerated drinks. Warm drinks are best or at least room temp.

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Another good review. I appreciate that your review(s) touch on the main aspects of a tobacco I want to know before buying and communicate clearly about the experience of smoking the blend. The added bonus is you have created some good discussion that provided more useful information.

Thanks for posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.