PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
This was a fresh tin I just picked up, upon opening i got an earthy slightly sour tobacco smell, not like an overpowering Christmas Cheer vinegar but just a hint of sour.

Sadly i had got called on to a Teams meeting for work but decided to move outside for the call and to go ahead and smoke this anyway, a hot Florida day with a nice tall cold glass of fresh brewed ice tea and a pipe, not a bad way to make a living.

The tobacco wasn't too moist right out of the tin but I did spread some out on a paper towel and let it sit out for a bout 15 minutes, I also wanted to take a gander at the makeup, picture below. Loading this ribbon cut was super easy in my MM (I like to use one of these pipes for each first tasting as I'm pretty positive they are going to smoke like the champs they are).

Charring and first light, pieces of cake, right off the get go I got a dark mocha note, sort of that espresso and dark chocolate, very faint but there, sweet but not Virginia in your face sweet. This bowl is burning beautifully, if only all blends burned this smoothly and evenly the world would be a better place, tamping and poking can be enjoyable but just not something I want to do every time with every bowl.

About 1/4 way into the bowl now and no relights, a bit of tamping but only once, i do notice this is a very fine white ash, but back to the actual notes, this is an early musky smoke with those hints of sweet dark chocolate in the background, nothing about this is strong it's all very subtle so far, no complaints from me but if you like big and bold I can see where this might not be the blend for you. One thing big and bold about it is the huge clouds of smoke, even sipping gets you rewarded with billowing clouds, my first thought it the guy that posted he was looking for more smoke out of his pipe, this blend definitely fit that bill!

The work call is really starting to interfere with my smoking pleasure, I really need to hit Powerball, one thing I notice is this is such an even smoke, about 1/2 through the bowl and no major changes, starting to pick up more of a nuttiness, a sweet nut like a brazil nut comes to mind, yes I know that isn't actually a nut so let's go with a walnut note and I'm still getting some sour, more on the backend finish, i guess some people would call this citrus but I honestly keep gong back to a lime more than a regular citrus that I usually get from tobacco. The light sweet nuttiness is always there not in your face yet nothing you really have to look for too deeply, think about it and it's there, still no major changes just a nice consistency and well rounded smoke.

About 2/3 through now and I'm getting a bit of grassy hay but it comes and goes, it keeps it interesting but the sweet nut is really the major player here, that and the lime finish. The thing that is surprising to me is that the bowl is barely even warm, I pride myself on being able to slow smoke and sip from my years of cigar smoking, but even when I take a big draw off of this there is just no heat and not even a hint of bite.

Almost done and a little shocked at how fast this bowl burned down, i did the ol' three step packing method it was a fairly tight pack, bowl has lasted me about 50 minutes so far, still bowl heat and only fine white ash left in the bowl.

I just can't tell, do I like it, I don't ate it or even dislike it, I just can't tell, it's a very mild smoke that's for sure, next time I'll try it in a different pipe and compare the smoking experience. I think it's the sour citrus finish that is throwing me off, I'll look to the cast here to throw some input in on that, wether that's a common note here or maybe it's just interacting with something I ate earlier, I did have a piece of cheesecake so that heavy sweetness might be part of the interaction.

I did put the tin in a jar and shake it up to give it room to breath and blossom, I'm thinking that a little air and room will help this perk up.

Thanks for listening to my ramble, sorry if my obsession with the lack of heat and bite got in the way of the review, and any inputs and your own experiences will be greatly appreciated!41FAFB70-01FF-4A19-ABE4-8DB2F7CD2A53.jpeg

TheWhale13

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 12, 2021
Sweden
Interesting. I wonder if jarring it will bring it around to what it “should” be. Or again maybe just from what i ate, im more used to knowing what cigars i like with or after what meals. Hmm next time i won’t eat anything first and see how it is.
I mean it doesn't sound (or look) like it's even close to 965. Either you have a very distinct palate or there has been some mix-up with some other blend because not a single thing you said reminded me of 965.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Well that's what the tin says lol ... very odd because "usually" my tastes are pretty spot on ... hmmmm also interesting that someone said it didn't look like it in the pic either.

TheWhale13

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 12, 2021
Sweden
Sounds more like Sunset Breeze or something. I'm not familiar with any Peterson aromatics, but it may be one of those.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
As tobacco is an organic product, it can vary wildly. Here's a pic I just took of a tin I have on hand. It looks a bit darker overall.

View attachment 148998
They look COMPLETELY different. It was the only tin i opened from that mail call, that’s kind of effed up. As a matter of fact the only other tins were 2 Rattray’s Marlin Flake and a blind man couldn’t confuse those. Thanks for the tin picture, at least i know my tastes aren’t totally off but that tin sure was. I’m used to inconsistency with Cuban cigars but not tinned tobacco.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
They look COMPLETELY different. It was the only tin i opened from that mail call, that’s kind of effed up. As a matter of fact the only other tins were 2 Rattray’s Marlin Flake and a blind man couldn’t confuse those. Thanks for the tin picture, at least i know my tastes aren’t totally off but that tin sure was. I’m used to inconsistency with Cuban cigars but not tinned tobacco.
It's possible it got mislabeled when it got packaged. Maybe during a changeover during packaging?

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I’ve given up. I have no idea how tins are packaged, could have been an end of a batch, the crap they cleaned out of the tinning machine, who knows, i do know that’s how the tin wad labeled and what was in it. The only thing that bums me out is i enjoy writing cigar reviews and was looking to move into pipe tobacco reviews, the CC one was good and the second reviews was this shit sandwich … bummer yo. ?

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
It's possible it got mislabeled when it got packaged. Maybe during a changeover during packaging?
Mislabeling does occur sometimes. I purchased two tins of Pease Caravan, an English/Oriental blend, a number of years ago. Although the labels said Caravan, the contents were Barbary Coast, a burley blend. A couple of days later, while I was on the pipes chat channel, Greg Pease just happened to be on as well. When I explained to him what happened, he immediately had Cornell & Diehl, the blender, send me four tins of Caravan. I only wish everyone had that same impeccable level of customer service.